• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Preventative Maintenance - 2WD XJ

bestee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 2WD Jeep Cherokee with 65,000 miles on it (mostly highway driving). Besides keeping up with changing all the fluids, the only other things I have done are put new tires on it and replace the brake pads/rotors. I need for this Jeep to last! What other preventative maintenance should I have done to my vehicle at this point or in the near future?

Thanks!
Brenda

Every year or so drain and flush the cooling system, use one of those prestone backflush kits and prestone 7 hour flush. Replace the hoses, thermostat and pressure cap with OEM parts. Tune up, stick with stock OEM Champions. Pressure clean the radiator from the back to get all the stuff out of the fins the same way it went in.
Seeing as how you don't appear to be an avid off roader, though you would be amazed at what a 2wd jeep will do with rear locker :D, I would wax it twice a year with a good carnuba, scotchguard the interior, keep the floor mats in good shape. Anytime you remove bolts use anti-seize when reassembling. You should also remove the rear spring hanger bolts, the ones in the frame under the rear seats and anti-seize them also. Then in 5 years see if I'm in the market to buy, that way I can move the drivetrain from my 98 over to yours and won't have frozen hanger bolts :D :D :D
Some improvements you can make, replace your stock headlights with Hella 'E' code H4 halogens, big difference in night time lighting, as are a good set of Hella 450 fog lights. Add a contoured bug shield to keep nicks on the hood nose to a minumum. Every 5,000mi or so run a can of Chevron Techron or Valvoline Gold fuel injection cleaner thru it.

Well the best suggestion is to read the owner's manual and find out what Jeep says you should do. If you are unsure of the maintenance then do all the 30,000 and 50,000 mile stuff and then you will know where you are at.

I have a 86 mustang 5.0, did all the maintenance in the owner's manual. The only unscheduled maintenance I had to do because of a failure was the starter, a dead battery and the water pump. I am sold on doing maintenance on schedule.

Back