• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Swap 93 into 89 questions

jfiscus

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have 2 XJs:
89 4wd fuel injected 4.0 automatic (208,000 miles)
93 2wd fuel injected 4.0HO automatic (107,000 miles)

My 89 engine has always overheated, and recently I had to keep driving it to get it somewhere I could pull off, by that time it was WAY overheated, and now I beleive I may have ruined my motor. I know I am getting compression leaking into my cooling system (closed) because after I bought a new sealed bottle it blew off my radiator lines and coolant flows out all over when the cap is loose. It also overheats after just about 5 minutes of driving. What does everyone think is bad, or am I just needing a new headgasket? I don't see any moisture in the exhaust or any oil in the coolant...

The 93 has a bad transmission (poor/late shifting) and low miles because it was in a wreck and sat for a couple years before it was fixed. The engine runs strong and has no problems that I know of. The body, however, is badly rusted from sitting and dented from the accidents it has been in. (I only have $300 invested in this jeep)

What all would I need to worry about if I was swapping this engine into the 89?
What electronics will I have to switch/convert?
Is there anything else I need to worry about?

THANK YOU in advance to anyone that can help.

Am I asking dumb questions?

This is the most mechanically complicated project I have ever given thought about undertaking. Can someone give me some input before I just start on it?

Back