• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound Systems??

Centrevillemx

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what you guys are doing in the way of sound for you XJ's. Whats a good company that can hook me up with 400 watts for around $250?

dunno about price that range, but i just put 4 infinities to replace my stock it sounded 100 times better.

Just be very careful to whom you listen. The XJ has EXTREMELY limited space for the radio in the dashboard, so the best game plan is to shop for a decent but not overwhelming, but SMALL head with outputs for an amp. The factory mounts the amp under the rear seat, so there's no reason you can't do the same thing. Put your money into the amp and speakers.

Just to let you know that if you have power windows there is limited space for speaker upgrades. I put 6.5" alpines in the fronts but it wasn't fun. I ended up taking two pieces of 3/4" mdf and gluing them together, cut out tons of the door and panel, screwed the mdf to the door and installed the speaker. It took quiet a while to get it done and the tolerances are pretty tight. I put two tweeters in the upper dash. The upper dash comes apart real easy and you can dremel out a hole for the speakers in no time. The tweeters make the system! I put two 6.5" in the rear as well. I made a rear plate that sits inside the rear hatch where it is indented from the factory. THen I put two tweeters on that as well. You have to be careful not to drill into any wires, and the depth is pretty tight as well. All in all it sounds a million times better than factory. My 00' has tons of room for any after market radio. I installed a 12" sub as well. Ive had all this stuff laying around since I was 17, took it out of my 84 xj and put it all in this one. Well worth the time.

hey whosyourdaddy, you dont happen to have any pics of your tailgate setup?

I took out the back seat and had a custom box made for 2 15' and 4 12's running in line with 4x9 and an 8 tweeter set up. DVD with TFT and a passenger seat for my girlfriend . The system is juiced with 5 farads and 3 batteries peaking at 5200 watts. All MTX and Kenwood. 1 seat for my girlfriend. All rolling on 38's. If you have any questions give me a yell

I just got stuffed A calrion DXZ825 in the dash of mine. Helped a ton. Fornt speks are kicker 5.25. They preform well. I don't have any speaker in the hatch yet and just some 8" DEI subs run of a 402.i Kicker amp. Sounds good enough for me. Might go to 10's some day.

You might bew able to get a kicker amp for that price but make sure it;s a good one. Cheap amps sucks and will ruin your speakers. I went trough 3 pairs of subs with a old cheap amp.

i am going 2 get 2 12s, concept is good quality for the price, they want 950 for the12s, 800d amp, and an alarm. i have memphis 5 1/4s and the sound great.
jimmy

In my 00 the headliner has spots built in for 2- 5 1/2" speaks. Filled those and the front doors with (damn can't remeber the name of them). My good friend the stereo guru picked them out and installed them. A 400 watt Eclipse amp under the seat and 2 kicker 12's in the back. I love the tunes...Oh yeah make sure you get a mp3 compatible deck because it rocks to carry 10 cds instead of 200. The headliner may be a good boneyard find to make space for more speaks.

JJ

just be aware that XJs are VERY easy to break into.

HIDE YOUR STUFF, and fasten it rigidly to the body with many strong fasteners. the less you can see from the outside the better.

I have a headliner from a 00 or 01 XJ in my 89, and it came with 6.5" speakers in it, I shoehorned 6 3/4" (euro size, used in newer VWs) into it with no extra effort and the factory grilles fit over the slightly larger speakers. definitely a MUCH better location for the speakers

thats a rather limited budget, especially if you have the stock radio. With that much $ to spend and if you want cheap bass just go to best buy they have an amp and 2 12 speaker box for like 300 or something and you can make it work with your stock radio its just not going to be the most ideal set up. Also if you have a newer like 97+ and you want to upgrade your speakers it doesnt seem to help too much, I went all out and bought the best eclipse speakers all around and run then with an eclipse aluminum 10" sub and a kenwood kdc859 deck ( which is way overly complicated to use) and didnt notice that big of a difference, it was clearer yes, but when you are limited to 5 1/4 speakers without mods there is only so much you can do. But thats just my opinion on it. But when you throw in the amp in and the sub with an aftermarket headunit it still sounds pretty kick ass

Last edited:
i used to have a nice stereo in my jeep. i use to travel to actual sanctioned national competitions. i had eight twelves in a custom box i made. it went from the hatch to the back of the drivers seat. i ran over two thousand watts rms to this box and got 161 decibels out of it. i also ran eight door speakers two in the front door two in the lower dash panel and four in the rear doors. it was all fun at the time. then i went to the desert for the first time. when i was not competing i had just two twelves in the rear. its no fun having a big box floating around in the rear. i went out to play one night and the next morning the box had done a 180 and flipped on its side ripping out some wires. now it is all eight door speakers two one amp under the seat. if i turn it loud enough i wont hear my exhaust. if you go off roading no bass box only speakers.JMHO :cool:

Mine didn't come with a stock radio, it came with a Pioneer AM/FM Cassete head unit and stock speakers. I'm guessing that it might be putting out around 120 watts max. but it didn't come with an owners manual. Are ther any head units that pump out 400 watts? Probably not. But just asking.

I'm not aware of any head units that put out that much power. Keep in mind that output power in head units is stated in peak power, not RMS. HUGE difference. Getting back to the topic, for $250 you won't find a quality amp that puts out 400 watts unless you're looking at peak output. For this reason, be careful when comparing power output of different amps since some are listed in peak while others are listed in RMS. Make sure you compare RMS wattage per channel, measured in the entire frequency range (usually 20-20kHz or wider), for all amps as a baseline. I hate when wattage is listed in RMS at only 1kHz (test signal). And I'll recommend you stay away from off brands.....you get what you pay for, as the saying goes.

As a rule, a good quality, established brand amp will always out-perform a much higher wattage cheap one. For mainstream brands MTX does pretty well in the amp catagory. One way to get more for less is to buy a good used amp from someone you know who didn't abuse it.

Tom

400 watts for a head unit?!?! I dont think so.... The max I have seen so far is mine, 27 rms (dont remember the peak).
**Cheapxj, You said you put a 00 or 01 headliner in your 89... did that require many mods to get it to fit or did it just slide right in? Also, where are the speaker spots located? B/c I already baought a soundbar, but I havent put it in yet.

Just be very careful to whom you listen. The XJ has EXTREMELY limited space for the radio in the dashboard, so the best game plan is to shop for a decent but not overwhelming, but SMALL head with outputs for an amp.

Okay, so if I Relocated the Head unit to ( look at picture: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6399 ) Would it give me more room?

I have a 99 sport that came with the 6 speaker infinity and amp. I love the sound. It is tape and cd so its the best of both worlds. I just found that JBL makes a sub box. That takes the place of your passenger side hatch panel across from spare. Sweet no boxes to the back of your head when getting dirty.

Stereo

I went to Circuit City and picked up a Kenwood CD player for $89, 4 - 6.5" Bazooka Coaxials $80, and a 8" Amplified Bazooka tube for $80. All in all only $250 and sounds good to me. Nice bottom end, clean highs, coaxials are hidden in stock locations, and Bazooka is secured in the back, plus way lighter than a huge box that would bounce around. Tweeters mounted up higher in front would help with imaging but I am satisfied with it.

Centrevillemx said:
Okay, so if I Relocated the Head unit to ( look at picture:
Would it give me more room?

Did you read the thread? Here's a quote from it:

Rev Den: said:
Check behind that panel, you will find the computer, your HVAC to the back, and the center hump....not allot of room. If you need more room for a head unit they make mounting kits that space the front of the unit out an inch or so.

Rev
Does that answer your question?

Back