• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory front driveshaft sounds like its grinding

BrazosRiver_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 85 XJ with a 4" lift. The drive train is all stock including the factory constant velocity drive shaft and flange yoke at the transfer case. When I put it in four wheel drive it grinds like its about to fall out. The joint at the transfer case is in a bad bind, which can bee seen just by looking at it. I need to know if I can take the yoke off on my 90 model parts jeep and have the double cardan shaft off of it cut down and balanced to fit. I am trying to save from buying a $350 shaft and yoke from Tom Woods.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know because I get different answers everywhere.

You need the extended yoke or an SJ yoke with better u-joint angles so as not to bind. You will probably have to lower your TC as well to keep the yoke from falling out of your TC at full flex.

Rusty's is the cheapest for the Yoke. It's only 5/8 of an inch longer BUT the clearance for the u-joint angles is MUCH better.

My manual calls it a constant velocity shaft but what’s on there is not a double cardan shaft. That’s what in trying to put on there. I have the yoke and shaft off a newer model but I don’t know if it will work.

If it's an 85 I'm bettin on the 261, with the crappy driveshaft. You should be able to swap in the t-case out of the 90 IF it's still the 27 spline output on the tranny. The drive shaft you have is prone to failure when lifted. The 90 could be a 231 or 242 depending on model if its the 242 (full time) your better off finding a 231 or getting the adapter from Tom. (I broke 2 242's) before getting a 231. Of coarse nothing is ever sure on the early models or the late ones for that matter. I bet you can pick up a shaft from a junk yard for $60 to ease your pain for a little bit.

BrazosRiver_XJ said:
I have an 85 XJ with a 4" lift. The drive train is all stock including the factory constant velocity drive shaft and flange yoke at the transfer case. When I put it in four wheel drive it grinds like its about to fall out. The joint at the transfer case is in a bad bind, which can bee seen just by looking at it. I need to know if I can take the yoke off on my 90 model parts jeep and have the double cardan shaft off of it cut down and balanced to fit. I am trying to save from buying a $350 shaft and yoke from Tom Woods.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know because I get different answers everywhere.

I have an 85 also. Which engine, tranny, and tranfer case do you have? Do you have select trac 4wd? I have the same driveshaft that you do and have the same problems. There was a write up not to long ago on this. I have a 229 tranfer case with a 32 spline output. So my swap will be a driveshaft and yoke from an xj with a 242 tranfer case. If you have a 207 tranfer case than you can get a yoke and driveshaft off of a 231 tranfer case because both spline counts are 27. Take some measurements to get the driveshaft you want.

Kim.

Back