• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj ignition/run problem

Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
my dad was driving my 88 xj the other day when it just died on him, and it wasnt like it was idleing and then stalled, he was goin 60 on a four lane. it was an electrical problem. there is like a connection point ontop of the steering collum where theres a black plug and a blue plug, both are miledly melted causing a bad connection and causing the car to die. I'm trying to figure out exactly what this thing is called so I can replace it. I know its part of the ignition system. my xj is a stick incase it makes a difference. I would apritiate any helpful sugjestions.
thanks

thanks, is there anything else similar to the current problem that I should watch out for, seeing how everything on it is pretty close to17 years old.
thanks

Sounds like something is drawing too much power, or you just had corrosion at that connector. I chopped one out of the harness of another and replaced the wires one at a time (soldered) so no mistakes were made.

carnuck said:
Sounds like something is drawing too much power, or you just had corrosion at that connector. I chopped one out of the harness of another and replaced the wires one at a time (soldered) so no mistakes were made.

You might be right about too much power being sucked through there. the only thing that I can think of is that I upgraded my alternator. I'm pretty sure I put in a 180amp instead of the stock 80 or whatever. thats why I'm wondering if theres anywhere else that I should check for stress. what I think happened with my ignition switch is that the connector got too hot and then started to melt over time and eventualy stopped holding the wires together. I hope that just happened over the past 17yrs though, not since I put in my new alternator. has anybody had any expierience such as this with a high amp alternator?

langer1 said:
The alt don't charge through the ignition switch so that didn't cause it, it's just old and wore out was all.

well I'm glad to know that the switch was probably just old. I replace it as soon a sI can get around to it.
thanks again

Back