• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New lifters on an older cam???

ghettocruiser

NAXJA Forum User
Ok...I know that Ive heard all over that you shouldnt replace the lifters without replacing the cam. Here is my situation... Im doing some head work on my 94 4.0. The motor is a recon and has almost 100,000 on it. I can not get the lifters to move at all. In other words when I press down on them they do not compress. I tried cleaning them out alittle bit but had no success. Is this normal??? I looked at new lifters at work and they are so easy to compress. I know they are empty of oil...but shouldnt they still be able to move some after they are in the motor for awhile?

My question is... the bottom of the lifters dont have any unusual wear on them. No sharp edge around the bottom. No wear at the very bottom where the lobe hits. Why cant I just pop some new lifters in? Will this work? If not...what can I do about my lifters being so stiff. Any insight would be good. Im trying to sort things out before the weekend and my trip to cali. Thanks in advance.

Justin

With oil in them they will be stiff. If they worked before and no ticking noise, then I'd just keep them in there. If you want to clean them, use 1 quart of Ford type ATF automatic transmission fluid for about 500 miles in place of 1 quart of regular oil. I've put new lifter on an old cam. I wouldn't put old lifters on a new cam though. Also, look at the condition of the cam lobs. They should'nt show much wear.
Tom

Yeah I heard from someone today that has built a couple motors that they really shouldnt compress. Then again I did hear from someone else that they should. So more conflicting data. I really want to just throw new lifters in since I have them sitting around the garage. I just dont want to kill the cam in the process. Thanks for the response! Anyone else have any info on using new lifters with a used cam??? Anything to look for specifically as far as wear goes? Thanks for the help!

Justin

Let me vouch for the non compress on the lifters. If they have been pumped up and filled with oil, they do not compress well or fast. There are actually specs on how long it should take with X amount of force, for them to compress. Bottom line is, if they compress, get rid of them. If they were working fine before, don't mess with them.

New lifters maybe installed on an old cam. A new cam REQUIRES new lifters!

When reusing lifters, they MUST go on the same lobes they were taken off of - if there is any question at all, you're better off buying new ones (or you'll be doing a new cam and lifters in about three days.)

Lifters are going to "pump" out of the box, but when they have been filled with oil, there should be little to no play or pumping. Like old_man sez, there is actually a test jig and specification for lifters when they are pumped up - you are basically gaging their ability to retain oil for self-adjustment.

5-90

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks guys! As far as I know the lifters were functioning the way they are supposed to. I do have a noticable tapping noise... but if you saw how bad my #3 exhaust valve was you would probably agree thats what it was. Im going to check each out once more...but will probably leave them alone. Thanks for the info and for putting me alittle more at ease!

Justin

5-90 said:
New lifters maybe installed on an old cam. A new cam REQUIRES new lifters!

When reusing lifters, they MUST go on the same lobes they were taken off of - if there is any question at all, you're better off buying new ones (or you'll be doing a new cam and lifters in about three days.)

Lifters are going to "pump" out of the box, but when they have been filled with oil, there should be little to no play or pumping. Like old_man sez, there is actually a test jig and specification for lifters when they are pumped up - you are basically gaging their ability to retain oil for self-adjustment.

5-90

5-90 hit it right on the head

Back