• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plasma cutter....

JohnX

Sarge
NAXJA Member
Looking to buy my first plasma cutter for fabrication. I would like your input as to which brands/models are good or bad. I want one that will do a fairly clean cut on 1/4" steel and smaller. I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm getting VERY tired of my sawzall. I will use it only for odd jobs on my Jeep collection....bumpers, skids, armor, etc. I don't want to spend over $1000, but would like something that is going to last a while under fairly light use. I have compressed air and 220V at my disposal...so an internal pump is not a requirement and voltage is not a concern either.

Let me have it...

i use a hypertherm 1000 at work. a little out of the $1000 range but, that one cuts up to 1". i think they are one of the best brand of plasma cutters. they make cutters more in your price range.

How does $1,080 free shipping sound,

I bought a THERMAL DYNAMICS CUTMASTER 38 PLASMA CUTTER 1-3820 from eBay weldingsuppliesatwsc about a year ago. Excellent machine for the money.

Clean cut 3/8", good on 1/4", and severs 5/8" mild steel and every other metal that will conduct electricity.

NEW Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 Plasma Cutter(1-3820)
FREE Shipping to 48 states and FREE Gloves and Glasses

eBay Item number: 7537278107

larrypoole said:

I bought a THERMAL DYNAMICS CUTMASTER 38 PLASMA CUTTER 1-3820 from eBay weldingsuppliesatwsc about a year ago. Excellent machine for the money.
funny, my old man has the same machine. good for the $$.
but be aware that you can cut through thick sheet steel with a powerful stick welder. plasmas can be kinda tricky if you're just learning. just get extra tips. and more than a couple.

I used the one at the fab shop at school
biggest piece of crap Ive ever had the displeasure of getting my hands on

106_0642.JPG

xuv-this...plasma cutters r pretty easy to get good with...all it takes is a steady hand and constant and stedy movement. id say get 3 tips....ull stick 2 of them before u get the hang of it. what are you gonna use for an air supply? u have a big enuff compressor?

atx xj said:
xuv-this...plasma cutters r pretty easy to get good with...all it takes is a steady hand and constant and stedy movement. id say get 3 tips....ull stick 2 of them before u get the hang of it. what are you gonna use for an air supply? u have a big enuff compressor?
or you stick one and burn up the other two :laugh3:. me and my old man have probably been through a dozen or so. it just depends on what you're cutting. cutting through thick scrap at wierd angles can do that. it has enough air. but a torch works better on thick pig iron and stuff like that.

^ this is true....ive mainly done it on thin plate for my bosses race car body panels...im sure any weird angles or patterns on something thick would complicate things a fair amount

plasmas are da bomb for sheet metal. quick and easy. they do make plasmas big enough for REALLY thick stuff, but they ain't cheap.

I got a Hypertherm 380 a few weeks ago.

After playing with it for a while, I've gotten the hang of it.

It'll go through 1/4" no problem. Haven't really tried anything thicker.

Saved buttloads of time on the latest fab project.

Rick

I've got telwin tecnica 31 few weeks ago, it's italian brand but sold also in USA, It's very cheap €560, maximum tickness 8mm, inverter technology, very light weight 6Kilograms, spare parts electrode €5, nozzle €3. This version require 230V but there is the tecnica 18 that use 115V. www.telwin.com

Plasma cutters hate oil/water,get yourself a dryer/separator and you wont likely go thru so many nozzles.

RCP Phx said:
Plasma cutters hate oil/water,get yourself a dryer/separator and you wont likely go thru so many nozzles.
oohhh. he he ours has prolly gone through almost a gallon so far...crapsman seperator. well, you learn somethin' new every day...<thanks>

larrypoole said:

Clean cut 3/8", good on 1/4", and severs 5/8" mild steel and every other metal that will conduct electricity.

NEW Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 38 Plasma Cutter(1-3820)
FREE Shipping to 48 states and FREE Gloves and Glasses

eBay Item number: 7537278107

This is the one I bought...Haven't got it yet, but I'll let you know how it goes after I build something. First projects should be....Axle trussing D30, Tank skid, Belly skid/crossmember. Not necessarily in that order.

expand your budget a bit hypertherm 600 can be had for about 1450 shipped and it will easily cut 3/4", the more you spend up front the better your resale if you go another route

Have been cutting a little with the hypertherm 380 and it seems very good. Not sure why you guys say it requires practice? First cut was a piece of cake!

I think it requires practice. I tried cutting 3/4" and was blowing slag all over the place. I still have a scar or two.

cherokeekid said:
expand your budget a bit hypertherm 600 can be had for about 1450 shipped and it will easily cut 3/4", the more you spend up front the better your resale if you go another route
X2 Great machine and really easy to get the hang of it.

Woody

Back