• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 rear axle seal leak

cmanders

NAXJA Forum User
great forum! what is the easiest way to replace the right rear axle seal on a 2001 grand cherokee laredo. i looked under and it seems i have to either drop the rear axle out or pull the gas tank to get to the diff cover bolts?? i searched the whole forum but found nothing on the basics. also how many seals are there that i will have to replace. the vehicle is all stock. also while i am ranting what is the best repair manual for this vehicle. i downloaded a factory service manual but it doesn't have the step by step instructions, just the technical service info.

thanks alot in advance, Mike

ok first message really stupid questions. i jacked up the vehicle and supported on the frame. plently of room to work on.(i feel pretty stupid). now on to other questions. i dont seem to have a c-clip on the axle shafts, how do they come out?? i am pretty sure its a d35. again this is on a 2001 JGC.

thanks again in advance, Mike

You don't need to pull the cover, as the axles are semi floating- retained by a plate at the wheel end of the shaft. Remove the wheel and brake caliper and rotor. There are four nuts on the back of the hsg. flange where the backing plate attaches(toward the center of the vehicle) that need to be removed. Then the shaft with the retainer plate and seal and brg. can be slid out, usually easy on WJ's. Cut the retainer collar and brg. off without nicking the shaft and replace the seal, brg. and retainer.

Back