• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how do I get this axle out?????help!!!

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I loosened all these bolt and here I am
Jeep%20parts%20040.jpg

now I tug on this axle and it comes out ???

its a Dana 44 XJ
I dont have to remove the cross shaft or spider gears do I

Arent the bearing pressed onto the axle??

Idont see how it comes out
it doesnt look like those four bolts would hold anything but the backing plate on..

there arent any c clips are there??

Most likely there was sealant that got on the bearing race. No you don't have anything else to remove. Go to Autozone and borrow a slide hammer with the attachment that allows you to screw it down using the lug nuts. A couple of sharp pops and it should be out.

The pictures show a bearing with tapered rollers. Mine are caged and the outside comes out with the bearing unlike the the pictures.

old_man said:
Most likely there was sealant that got on the bearing race. No you don't have anything else to remove. Go to Autozone and borrow a slide hammer with the attachment that allows you to screw it down using the lug nuts. A couple of sharp pops and it should be out.

went to auto zone got the puller and atachment and it took me about 20 HARD pops to get em out
thanx again

gotta go return the puller now;)

heres a look at the axle once removed
nice huh...
Im glad I didnt have to change that sucker on the trail..
note to self :
remove and reinstall front axles asap
goood.JPG

Last edited:
Sealant is not nessecary, it just glues the thing in so that you have to use a slide hammer to get the axle out :laugh3: Just clean the housing up real well. If it has any old sealant remaining from the previous install make sure you get ALL of that stuff out.

One note on the seals, apparently the D44 came with two different seals. Autozone and Kragen both tried to sell me seals that were too thick and would not allow the retaining plate to seat (found out the hard way and had to press the bearings back off :mad: ), drove on around the corner to the dealer and was pleasantly supprised that they not only had the correct seals in stock,but they were actually cheaper too. Just compare your old seals with the new ones, the wrong ones I had were the same I.D and O.D but were about 1/8" too thick.

Back