• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random No Start

ebxjbob

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 auto today i went to start and nothing happened, no noise, no nothing, all lights came on like normal, radio and everything still worked. turned the key 3 times same thing, 1 time it made a little whining noise, took the key out put it back in and it started like normal. did it again 2 starts later. is this just the battery dieing out on me???

EBXJBOB said:
96 4.0 auto today i went to start and nothing happened, no noise, no nothing, all lights came on like normal, radio and everything still worked. turned the key 3 times same thing, 1 time it made a little whining noise, took the key out put it back in and it started like normal. did it again 2 starts later. is this just the battery dieing out on me???
Battery, not likely, Starter relay, starter, NSS, ignition switch are better guess's.

alright so do you think it will keep starting after some fiddling or is it going to leave me stranded aka i should figure out exactly what it is

yea yea i was just telling someone how nothing ever goes wrong with it haha alright thanks a lot man

Nss............

I got standed on the way to work one day.. at a gas station :rattle:

heres what ya do
get a long wire
aligator clip to one end
and strip the other

if ya ever get stranded
turn the key to on position
youi clip the aligator to the 12+ on the Battery and then touch the other end to the pos terminal on the starter
you will have to crawl under the vehicle to do this but better htan being stranded somewhere

om my first jeep I tried to rebuild the NSS but I broke the stupid thing trying to get it off!!!

so I bypassed the switch
starts in gear that way but I can deal with that

then when I went to a auction to buy my second jeep
no one bid on it cause it wouldnt start

HMMMMMMMM

I bid on it , got it for a steal
grabbed a pice of wire out of my tool box did the above
and drove home a 94 with 150K miles for $300 :)

Last edited:
Back