• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I can't drive... 55...

Hawaiian Style

NAXJA Forum User
Haven't seen this in the forum so I'll ask. My 88 Chief doesn't like to drive at 55MPH. 50 and below or 60 and above are no problem for the old guy but at 55 and it starts to wobble up front. It's not the tires, I have a set of muds and reg street tires and there's no change between them. Tranny is a fresh rebuild 2 days ago and problem is still there. Any ideas? It's strange it only happens at 55mph! It's like someone drove him at 55 for its entire life and wore that speed out or something;)

Yes sir, the Chief sits on a ProComp 3" lift up front and 3.5" leaf springs (BDS as I recall) out back. Other than that and some lights he's stock. The Chief has always pulled to the right since the day I bought him. (I did attempt an alignment but Goodyear and I had a little disagreement and the alignment never happened- long story :mad: ). It's also had this issue since I bought it but after an engine rebuild, a whole lot of sensors, and now the rebuilt tranny, this is my first opportunity to deal with this.

Shimmy that kicks in between 50 and 55 and disappears over 60 MPH is caused by tire imbalance.

Period.

This has been true since BEFORE I got my driver's license, and some folks around here can tell you, that's a lotta years ago.

TIRE BALANCE -- TIRE BALANCE -- TIRE BALANCE

Ummm... ball joints? Have you ever replaced them and how many miles are on them?
Mike B.

Eagle, it can't be the balance on the tires in this case because I run two completely different sets of tires on the Chief. Actually, I have had three separate sets of rims/tires on it and no change between any of them.

How to I check out the ball joints?

Hawaiian Style said:
Eagle, it can't be the balance on the tires in this case because I run two completely different sets of tires on the Chief. Actually, I have had three separate sets of rims/tires on it and no change between any of them.

How to I check out the ball joints?

Jack up the front by the axle just enough to get the tire off the ground, and put a big lever under the tire. It helps if there's one person on the lever and one looking. If the knuckle moves up and down relative to the axle, you have a bad one.

But that being said, I wouldn't discount Eagle's point even though you have multiple sets of tires. I sometimes think that really careful wheel balancing is a lost art, and it isn't that uncommon to have it done poorly even with brand new tires at a supposedly reputable shop. And don't forget that alloy wheels often shed weights rather readily.

Last edited:
They had tires before you had a license Eagle? :)

Seriously though Haawaiian, that is usually the case. Maybe take your "Road Tires" down to get balanced (can't hurt for the freeway wheels, good insurance) and possibly align it too (I'm actually on my way out the door to do the same right now!)

Sequoia

I am going to chime in with Eagle here. My '92 recently developed a case of DW. It started every time I hit a certain type of bump in the road at speeds between about 52 and 60MPH. Since I travel the same country roads to work each day, I could plan my next attack of DW just by making sure I was going the correct speed over certain sections of road.

I suspected wheel balance, so off came the tires, and over to the local tire shop. They checked them, and noted that one of the fronts was a bit out of balance but by a VERY small amount.

Had them rebalanced, swapped tires end for end, and voila, no more DW, even using the same roads that caused it before.

Problem solved a long time ago but in case someone else has the same problerm:

It was a U joint going bad. Replaced U joint and it's been smooth sailing ever since.

My tires were recently ballanced and it still happens....

For me it starts at 100Km-120Km that's 62mph-74mph, before and after those speeds it's smooth sailing.

I'll have to check the U-Joints...

ThanX for the update Hawaiian Style

Its still you TIRES.

I had DW once I was lifted at 55-58mph. I found out one of my tires was out of round. This was after having them balanced twice.

Last time it happened to me my tre's were shot. So replaced those and it went away. Tire Balance is very important, hard to find a shop that can do it right the first time at least for anything over 33". NTB by me has a guy who is great at larger tire balance and alignments. Some shops will not touch a lifted or lowered rig. They got it right the first time. Juice

It IS the tires. Tire shimmy (wobble) that starts at 55 MPH and disappears above 60 or 65 is caused by improper tire balance. Period.

Could also be three more things. The front sway bar may be worn out (at the ends), the stabilizer (horizontal shock) may be worn out, or the drive shaft itself may be unbalanced.

Glad to hear the wheel balancing took care of it for you.

Mine was doing the exact same thing and it ended up being the sway bar - would have been last on my list of guesses.

Eagle said:
It IS the tires. Tire shimmy (wobble) that starts at 55 MPH and disappears above 60 or 65 is caused by improper tire balance. Period.
:passgas: :conceited
Here is another way to confirm if the tires are bad, or the wheel is at fault: Many GOOD tire shops will be able to "match-mount" the tire/wheel assembly on their balancer. Many Coats and Corgi machines will run an arm over the tread of the assembly, and be able to tell the operator where to move the tire on the wheel, to reduce radial runout of the assembly. A little more $$, but very effective.
(I just love that farting guy.....)

I hate to push the issue but I'm STILL driving on the SAME tires and no wobble. The only thing that changed was a u joint (actually two of them). As you can see from the thread, I tried 3 sets of tires and rotated each set to make absolutely sure. The problem was solved immediately after changing the joints. Eagle is the man :worship: but I think you're wrong in this case.

I'd have to rule out the steering stab. because you can usually tell when those go bad because every time you hit a bump it's like losing control. Swaybar is a good possiblity though.

Yes, I saw your remedy, glad it worked. I mentioned the Match-mounting procedure in case anyone else may have vibration problems from tire balance.
Enjoy the ride...... :peace:

Hawaiian Style said:
I hate to push the issue but I'm STILL driving on the SAME tires and no wobble. The only thing that changed was a u joint (actually two of them). As you can see from the thread, I tried 3 sets of tires and rotated each set to make absolutely sure. The problem was solved immediately after changing the joints. Eagle is the man :worship: but I think you're wrong in this case.

I'd have to rule out the steering stab. because you can usually tell when those go bad because every time you hit a bump it's like losing control. Swaybar is a good possiblity though.

correct me if I'm wrong, but "improper tire balance" and "death wobble" are VERY different things, aren't they? I'm on my second XJ w/DW, and it by no means feels like tires, nor does it go away when you hit the gas., In fact, hitting the gas is usaully put well under shitting my pants on the to-do list when the DW starts.

Back