• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chirping sound coming from under the hood

Reindeer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 XJ 4 liter. Just had it serviced two weeks ago to replace the aging serpentine belt and harmonic dampener, and had them fix the leak in the front main seal.

It is now making a soft but audible chirping noise that keeps pace with acceleration.
One mechanic said that he thought it might be the water pump.
Another mechanic said that it might be the belt tensioner pulley.

Does anyone know what typically makes this chirping noise?

Feed the squirrels. :laugh3:

Old Shade Tree Mechanic's Tip #23
Get a length of fuel line hose. Hold one end up to your ear, probe around with the other end. It will pinpoint where the sound is coming from By the way, don't stick the hose in the fan when it is running. Besides scaring the crap out of you, it makes one heck of a lot of noise.

old_man said:

Old Shade Tree Mechanic's Tip #23
Get a length of fuel line hose. Hold one end up to your ear, probe around with the other end. It will pinpoint where the sound is coming from By the way, don't stick the hose in the fan when it is running. Besides scaring the crap out of you, it makes one heck of a lot of noise.

like the old man says i usually use a long screwdriver to pinpoint noises. either way is fine though. you might also want to try putting a little bit of motor oil on the serp belt. (just a few drops)

old_man said:

My mom's truck actually had squirrels living in the camper shell.
I wish that my problem were so easy to solve.
I would just leave some acorns nearby.

Thanks for the other helpful hint, but I wouldn't know what to try to fix if I did find the source of the problem.
I was wondering if this distinctive noise is common on XJs,
and I was hoping that it's not the water pump, as I just had major repairs done.

With the engine running at idle, try spraying a little WD-40 or penetrating oil (better!) on the bolt or hub of the idler pully. Wait a minute or so after you spray before you move on - you might get a wrong answer if you don't.

The bearings in the idlers go bad after a while, since the lubricant isn't refreshed regularly (permanently lubricated my tired feet!)

If the bearing in the upper idler is shot (the one with the centre bolt,) you can remove the pully and replace the bearing - the biggest tool you'll need is a vice and a socket or piece of bar stock about the size of the outer race. I've posted the bearing number somewhere - but I don't have it handy right now.

The lower idler (with the mechanical fan on it) is integral with the bracket - and if that bearing's shot, you'll need to get a new bracket (OEMR only.) It didn't cost too much last time I had to get one - about $50, I'd think. Make sure you watch for the bottom bolt on that bracket - I broke the first one by taking out the wrong bolt at the bottom...

5-90

I chased one of these noises for over a month and it ended up being the harmonic ballencer seperating. You're issue sounds somewhat different but you can do a visual inspection of the balencer to see if the rubber joining the inner and outer pieces together is cracked and portruding. if so it's an easy fix.

My chirp was the water pump dying.

Odd how quiet the truck idles now.

As for "major repair": the water pump is a pretty easy fix. Do the t-stat and coolant flush at the same time.

I had some extra money, so I tossed in a GDI radiator, new fan clutch and hoses at the same time.

I have the mechanical skill and tool collection of a ring-tailed lemur, and I basically rebuilt the cooling system in about 5-6 hours taking my time.

Shade tree mechanics tip #24

When trying to isolate source of noise in the engine accessory drive system, pour some water on the belt while the engine is running. A loose or glazed belt will quiet down temporarily when water is present.

Water pump replacement questions

Reindeer said:
I have a '92 XJ 4 liter. Just had it serviced two weeks ago to replace the aging serpentine belt and harmonic dampener, and had them fix the leak in the front main seal.

It is now making a soft but audible chirping noise that keeps pace with acceleration.
One mechanic said that he thought it might be the water pump.
Another mechanic said that it might be the belt tensioner pulley.

I am posting the previous fix with some more questions.
It turned out that replacing the belt tensioner pulley solved the problem awhile back,
but I now have a new chirping noise that my mechanic says is coming from the water pump.
It gets louder and more constant when the engine is hot or under load (lights and A/C in use).

Some questions:

What water pump is recommended for a stock '92 XJ 4.0 ?

How long should it take a qualified mechanic to replace the water pump?

I'm trying to get an idea of what this might cost so that I don't get ripped off. I have a limited budget to work with.

My mechanic has quoted me $325 including the cost of the pump, which he says will be new (and not rebuilt).
I can find out what brand he recommends.
He says that it will take him between 5 and 6 hours.

Is this a good deal?
Is this a long time for this repair?

Thanks in advance.

$325? for just the water pump?

a good mechanic should be able to knock that out in half an hour or so.. let's say an hour to have time to burp the cooling system.

i believe i paid $155 for my water pump the first time it went. second time i did it with the help of a friend (who is an excellent mechanic).

that $155 was pump, tstat, coolant, and labor if i recall correctly. i consider that a very reasonable deal. i wouldn't pay 325.

defenestrate said:
$325? for just the water pump?
$325 includes the cost of the pump (which is unknown to me) and labor.

a good mechanic should be able to knock that out in half an hour or so.. let's say an hour to have time to burp the cooling system.
Okay, cool. Thanks for the info.
He didn't mention burping the cooling system, or replacing the thermostat and coolant.
What is the reason for doing these things?
Is it important to replace these parts as well?

i believe i paid $155 for my water pump the first time it went. second time i did it with the help of a friend (who is an excellent mechanic).
So I take it that your water pump failed twice?
Is the water pump a weak link that will fail more than once for me?

that $155 was pump, tstat, coolant, and labor if i recall correctly. i consider that a very reasonable deal. i wouldn't pay 325.
As do I. I will still need to pay someone for labor.
A hour means roughly $60 + cost of parts ($155) equals $215.
I will definitely shop around more on price.
Thank you.

Do you recall what brand of water pump you installed the second time?
Would you steer me away from the first pump you installed?

I would recommend the OEM pump.

BTW - Labor rates vary quite a bit depending on where you are in the country, so unless you get an answer from someone close to you, it means nothing.

To me, and only to me, 325 sounds fair...not a great deal, but not a ripoff, it all depends what it is worth to you, to not have to do it yourself. If you shop price, you are liable to get what you pay for....and then you will blame the crappy work on conservatives that are "out to get you"

Rev

Rev Den said:
....and then you will blame the crappy work on conservatives that are "out to get you"

Rev

Why are you attacking me like this?
Shame on you for violating the terms of service and the policy of this board.
Engaging in political attacks is a violation of NAXJA policy in this forum.
You misquote me. I never said what you assert.

Why do you want to violate the rules and engage in political fights with everyone? Is there something wrong with you?
"Reverend", you need to calm down.

Does anyone who does not have an irrational political axe to grind want to give me some real help? I obviously can't take advise from someone who is so full of hatred.

replacing the water pump is an easy job. Get a cheap manual, take your time to read what you are going to do-then replace it yourself. Last pump I bought costs about $30. With a Jeep you should be prepared to fix alot if yours is anything like mine!

CHIRP_bw.jpg

The idler bearing is an 6203-RS and can be found pretty cheap on eBay.

Happens to be the same for a Nissan Frontier as well since I replaced one last week. The idler bearing on the Nissan was definitely bad as it wobbled and the general noise level got quieter afterward, but it was not the source of the squealing. Turns out the serpentine belt had lots of little gravel bit wedged into the ribbing. Ten minute with an exacto knife popping out all the tiny bits and it's quite again.

Also, for belt noises I prefer a piece of 5/8" tygon tubing as a stethoscope. It's a bit easier to listen around the pulleys and it doesn't hurt when you get it into the fan.

Reindeer said:

Why do you want to violate the rules and engage in political fights with everyone? Is there something wrong with you?

Does anyone who does not have an irrational political axe to grind want to give me some real help? I obviously can't take advise from someone who is so full of hatred.
LOL
'nite all...thanks for the giggles. ;)

Reindeer said:
Actually...you did, remember the PMs to me?
Reindeer said:
Not really interested in your view of politics.
I do not get into "fights" with everyone.
yes, there is a bunch "wrong" with me, so I am protected under anti-discrimination laws. :D
Interesting how you quote Reverend, if it makes you feel better you can refer to me by the full title..Reverend Doctor.
I am very calm, but I will not simply forget the repeated irrational, hate filled, PMs where you claimed that conservatives vandalized your Jeep....and you KNEW it. :D

On the other hand...the advice I gave you is valid, take it or leave it.

Oh...are you EVER gonna make an event? I am sure we could sort all this out over a beer. :D

Rev

Last edited:
Back