• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a yes or no answer or 2 soon, I hope.

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I need to drain my fuel tank. I pulled the filter and the gas is bad.

If I shove the hose that comes out of the tank and into the fuel filter into a big bucket, then turn the key to aux so the fuel tank primes, will I get the fuel out of the tank and into the big bucket?

How much gas should I expect to come out each time it primes, and with how much force?

Thanks

Dang it...almost forgot...

1990 XJ

I really don't want to pull the fuel pump if at all possible...any help with my idea...

Thanks though Red91.

You can just siphon it through the filler neck. The same way you got it in there.

Cottontail said:
I need to drain my fuel tank. I pulled the filter and the gas is bad.

If I shove the hose that comes out of the tank and into the fuel filter into a big bucket, then turn the key to aux so the fuel tank primes, will I get the fuel out of the tank and into the big bucket?

How much gas should I expect to come out each time it primes, and with how much force?

Thanks
. About 1 pint every time the key is turned to run very little force, it's a high pressure pump not a high volume one.

You can buy a gas siphon with a squeeze bulb to start it.

Last edited:
Do this -

Identify the "source" line from the fuel tank, and get about six feet of hose in that size.

Trail the hose out the passenger side, so you can see the bucket from the relay block. Clamp the hose into the bucket.

With a piece of #14 (or larger) wire and .250" spade lugs, bridge the fuel pump relay - third back from the front:

-
| | -
-
In this picture, you want to jump the leftmost and rightmost terminals.

Bridging the relay will turn the pump ON continuously. WATCH THE HOSE - as soon as it runs dry, PULL THE WIRE! Don't run the fuel pump while it's dry, or it could fail at an inopportune moment...

When the tank is dry, put everything back to rights.

This will save a lot of wear on the key switch and fuel pump circuit...

5-90

Ya X2
But you prolly dont wanna use the fuel pump if your gas is bad because of foreign objects such as sand.
If its bad cuz of water, then go for it

The "sock" filter should catch anything large enough to snag the pump - all I've evern seen go through a sock is diatomaceous earth (used as a filter at the refinery) and it's fine enough to pass right through the pump.

If someone says their gas is "bad," it's typically for one of two reasons - a) it's been sitting around entirely too long, and the aromatics and volatiles that kickstart the combustion of the paraffinoids are gone, or b) it's contaminated with water.

Also, most who suspect malicious contamination (sand, glass, sugar, eggs, or whatever) are going to be more likely to ask "how to I take the tank down" than "how can I pump the fuel out?" Just something I've noticed over the years - if you suspect malicious contamination, you are not likely to run the pump for fear of spreading the contamination - you'll get it right where it starts, and save yourself work.

Just a series of experiential observations...

5-90

Back