• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

towings questions

The XJ with automatic is rated to tow 5,000 pounds, IF you have the tow package (heavy-duty cooling, external tranny cooler).

Concur - the XJ will handle 5K easily. My actual experiences with towing with the XJ...

1989 Limited, 4.0/AW4/D30/D35 3.55. 4'x8' box trailer - est. 3000# weight penalty. Atlanta to San Jose. Apart from wanting to upgrade the brakes a bit, no complaints. No brakes on the trailer.

1987 Pioneer, 4.0/AW4/D30/D35 3.55. Utility trailer with MF Ditch Witch. Towed est 17k# across Santa Clara County on surface streets at about 35mph (and a LOT of thinking ahead! Load was rigged carefully...) Not an experience for the fainthearted, but Clyde did good while the boss had the work truck...

I've done 300-500# with a cargo tray without any trouble - as long as the load is rigged properly.

For towing in general, the load should be balanced j-u-s-t forward of the trailer axle (within 6-12",) since this will allow you to maintain more control of the load. Select a ball mount with enough lift/drop to allow the trailer to sit level - this will take a load off the rear springs, and allow you to keep all your steering. It's amazing how many people I see out here who don't know how to rig a trailer properly... Take your time to set everything up right, and you'll be fine.

I'd suggest adding a transmission cooler and a temperature gage (if you don't have them,) and making sure your coolant loop is up to scratch. Towing generates a fair amount of heat all over, and you'll have to be ready to handle that (I wonder how hard it might be to adapt those Viper axle coolers...?)

5-90

My 87 XJ 4.0 AW4 D44 Towing Package tows very nicely. I don't have very much experience towing trailers, but this XJ can extract other vehicles nicely and with ease. I've pulled out Suburbans, 3/4 Trucks, etc. Plenty of power in a small package.

Back