• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff identification

kkerem

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I can't find any ID number on my rear diff. Can I find via VIN the type of rear diff? Car is 89, 4.0, AT/AC, NP231 (pobably)... I have to buy gasget for driveshaft...

Thank you

You have one of two axles - either a Dana 35 (with an oval cover) or a Dana 44 (with a more hexagonal cover.) I can't think of anything else that might have been used - until rather a bit later.

It is common to identify axles by the shape of the cover - here's a larger array of covers:

Jeep Axle ID

If all else fails, you can use a light layer of RTV Black (or whatever similar you can get locally,) but I prefer to use a gasket dry - makes it easier to clean next time...

5-90

Like 5-90 said Dana 35 (most probably) or a Dana 44. For me the easiest way to tell them apart is that the front of the housing on the D35 has a single reinforcing rib on each side that runs paralell to the ground while the D 44 has more (3 I think) per side. A good quick visual check when you're looking at XJ's in the boneyard. RTV works fine or you could cut a gasket out of bulk material.

they didn't use the 8.25 until later. That one is kind of circular too. One way that works for me when trying to tell the Dana 35 from the 44 is that, in almost every case, the drain plug is metal with a square hole, like in the back of a socket. You actually put a rachet or extension into it and take it off that way. The 35 has a round rubber cap that you just pry off with a screwdriver. The 44 has a bit more of a buldge in the cap too, compared to the 35.

Does that work with Pre-Chrysler Jeeps? I've never used that before, but I've heard from people with AMC Jeeps who get build sheets back from chrysler, which say they have options like "Cumins Turbo diesel" and the like. If it works with AMC Jeeps that'd be great, I misplaced my origional build sheet a while ago. I'll have to try mine on that site, since I still have the 87 brochure I can still find out what options I have and don't and compare them.

Back