• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine won't crank

Jason A-33

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ Sport. 77,000 miles.

It was having a hard time starting (hard, slow cranks) so I think thought the battery might be going bad. I was removing it and cleaning the cables. I hooked it back up to move it before I went to get the new battery and it would not crank. Interior, & dash lights and everything else (radio, fuel pump) seem to work. I remove the battery and get the new one. Still no crank. Interior lights are brighter and fuel pump is making noise, but no crank AT ALL. Help!

Update. It just started...hard slow crank. Drove it around for a few miles. Ran good. Backed it in, shut it off. When to restart it, very slow crank and no start. :wierd: Thoughts? TIA!

Failing or dirty starter solenoid
Dirty or corroded connections at starter, or excesively dirty starter mount (it grounds through the mouning point.)
Primary cable to starter corroded, dirty, contaminated, or broken internally
Primary ground from engine block corroded, dirty, contaminated, or broken

If it's trying to kick over, the ignition switch is probably fine - see if you hear the solenoid "kick" when you turn the key.

Those are the first things that come to mind - without looking at the vehicle myself, or having it handy for me to play around with...

5-90

Back