• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All guages and radio not working..

sweetjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks. The short version is:

In my 99 none of the guages are working (speedo, tach, gas, alt, coolant, etc) as is the radio not powering up.

The idiot lights work (high beam, blinkers, etc.) but that's all she wrote. I THINK the overhead lights are also broken.

I checked the basic fuses and what not and I couldn't find anything really pertaining to this kind of problem. I checked some similar ones and also found nothing.

Anyone have any idea? There was no traumatic incident before this all happened, I just went on a trip, and for the ride home, nothing worked.

I am open for brilliant thoughts! :)

Thanks!
Morgan

the radio i dont know about, but i have a defective headlight switch on my 99, and when I cycle it on and off my guages come back and my air bag light goes off and tach spedo start working. I hear there is a main harness connection behind the dash that gets corroded.

Check the grounds. Swapped a coil on my 98 XJ and the guages and check-engine light went crazy. After looking at the FSM wiring diagrams, I found that the common connection for these things was the grounds that connect to the engine in the same area as the coil mount.

FitchVA said:
did ya check the fuses under the hood? there's a 15 amp fuse under there that controls all of that. i popped it once and had the same conditions.
It may also be a 10 amp fuse, on my 01 it is. I'll bet your dome light won't work either. You will find it about the middle once you pop the cover off.

Same thing happened after i installed a cd changer under drivers seatin my 97. I adjusted the seat and shorted the whole system. Of course it was at 3 in the morning of a long road trip. Had to guess my speed and no radio, made for a long trip. It was just a fuse under the hood.

Thanks guys.. I'll do a little more checking.

The cig. lighter does work.

The dome light does NOT work.

I checked the fuses in the kick panel including a 10 amp one, I believe it was slot 9. It was good.

I did check the fuses under the hood, but none seemed to apply. I'll check again a little more closely though.

I can check the headlight switch pretty easily, but how the heck would I check the ignition switch?!

Barillms: Nope.. can't change my name yet, in 155K miles, I have only swapped a wheel bearing and a radiator. And I think the radiator was bad from day 1. So I can't change yet. ;)

Thanks a lot!

Morgan

Hey guys (or ladies if that's appropiate :) )

I found the problem to be a blown fuse in the under hood fuse box. It was the 15 amp in the lower right fuse socket of the mini fuses.
Basically I just started pulling fuses until I found one blown, replaced it and I'
m back in business!..

Many thanks! And now at least I know what one of all those stupid fuses does!

Thanks!!

Morgan

sweetjeep said:
Hey guys (or ladies if that's appropiate :) )

I found the problem to be a blown fuse in the under hood fuse box. It was the 15 amp in the lower right fuse socket of the mini fuses.
Basically I just started pulling fuses until I found one blown, replaced it and I'
m back in business!..

Many thanks! And now at least I know what one of all those stupid fuses does!

Thanks!!

Morgan
Kool but something made it blow, so be ready to start looking for the cause.

FitchVA said:
did ya check the fuses under the hood? there's a 15 amp fuse under there that controls all of that. i popped it once and had the same conditions.
<< pokes chest out proudly >>

damn i love being right!!

;) just jokin' around. glad you found it. but like he said, something caused it to blow. so time to hunt that down. you might have a chaffed wire somewhere causing a short. happy hunting

Yes sir you were!

Unfortunately, for me, this wasn't a fluke. I replaced the fuse and it was good for a couple miles and when I shut the beast off it apparently blew again as when I went to leave again, nothin' but a lack of dashboard information. ;)

Soooooooooooo.. a searchin' I shall go.

Back