• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pressure spec?

jandaraw

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to troubleshoot my 97 XJ and can't find what the spec is for fuel pressure at the rail. Can anybody tell me this?

Thanks.

I think for '96 on up it's 49psi. Changed when they went to OBDII.

K

Re: Fuel pressure problem

My situation is this: My 97 XJ is at 40 psi when idling...that would seem to indicate a pump problem if the spec is 49. When I shut it off, the pressure at the rail drops completely off to 0 in less than a second. That would seem to indicate the pressure regulator.?

Any advice as to which of these might be causing my problem??

Re: Fuel pressure problem

jandaraw said:
My situation is this: My 97 XJ is at 40 psi when idling...that would seem to indicate a pump problem if the spec is 49. When I shut it off, the pressure at the rail drops completely off to 0 in less than a second. That would seem to indicate the pressure regulator.?

Any advice as to which of these might be causing my problem??
Yes among other things, what's the problem your trouble shooting?

It is starting hard as it cranks several times before firing. Once running it does fine. When I cycle the key 5 or 6 times to prime the pump it will usually fire right up. It is obviously not holding pressure in the rail (as the pressure gauge confirmed). I just don't know if it is the pump check valve or the pressure regulator causing this. I guess it could also be an injector but not sure how to test this. I also get a cylinder misfire code.

Any advice is appreciated.

jandaraw said:
It is starting hard as it cranks several times before firing. Once running it does fine. When I cycle the key 5 or 6 times to prime the pump it will usually fire right up. It is obviously not holding pressure in the rail (as the pressure gauge confirmed). I just don't know if it is the pump check valve or the pressure regulator causing this. I guess it could also be an injector but not sure how to test this. I also get a cylinder misfire code.

Any advice is appreciated.
I would think that it's either the pump check valve or, since you mentioned the cylinder misfire code, an injector that's stuck open.
Since you only read 40 psi when running, you could also have a plugged filter/regulator.

K

I have seen several people refer to a check valve in the pump. Is this valve actually in the pump or in the regulator on top of the pump?

Can someone explain what the regulator actually does? It would seem the regulator would hold the pressure in the rail instead of the pump check valve.?

jandaraw said:
I have seen several people refer to a check valve in the pump. Is this valve actually in the pump or in the regulator on top of the pump?

Can someone explain what the regulator actually does? It would seem the regulator would hold the pressure in the rail instead of the pump check valve.?
Generaly the regulator is on the end of the fuel rail, It keeps the same pressure on the injectors, the check valve is part of the pump. The block on top of your pump is the filter I think.
So the regulator holds pressure on one end of the rail and the pump check holds pressure on the other end. In between the two are your injectors and they must also shut off 100% to hold rail pressure.

On my 97 XJ the regulator is on top of the pump (along with the filter). That is why I don't understand the reasoning behind a check valve in the pump when the regulator is right there to hold pressure to the rail.?

jandaraw said:
On my 97 XJ the regulator is on top of the pump (along with the filter). That is why I don't understand the reasoning behind a check valve in the pump when the regulator is right there to hold pressure to the rail.?
Regardless of where it's located it's connected the way it said.

langer1 said:
Regardless of where it's located it's connected the way it said.
On his '97, there is no return line like the pre OBDII vehicles have. The regulator and filter are the same unit. It's a filter/regulator combined into one. That said, I believe the check valve is actually in the pump assembly. But I could be wrong on this.

K

Back