• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remove shift lever 5-speed

wilson

NAXJA Forum User
I broke the shift knob off tonight. I was replaceing the lower boot. but how do you get the hole lever out. you know the part thats hooked to the little lever that gose into the transmission. there is a steel looking part that gose to a painted steel part that comes out of the upper boot to the knob.
bryan

Hmmm...

You need to depresse the retaining ring around the shift lever where is goes into the trans. Push it IN (towards the bottom of the trans) and rotate it about 1/4 of a turn and release...the whole shifter should pop out.

HTH

Rev

Wilson, you don't have to remove the shift lever to change either of the boots or the knob. Have you been into the surstromming and aquavit again? :D You've lost me on exactly what you want to do and why.

Its time for surstroming again(August). I want to take out the shift lever becuse I broke off the shift knob. 92 XJ 5-speed. You know under the knob its thin. and under the show boot (upper boot) it gets to be about an inch. round (it kind of looks like a weight) and there is a square nut under that, it realy dont look like it turns. if you look under the inch wide part looks like gubber with some metal weges in it. which goes on to the number two part of the lever which goes to the trans shift tower. to the third boot/seal.

hej Grizzly how do you know about surströming?
plus is there any cool sites for service manuels? in the chrysler jeep book I could not find how to remove it. Plus in my haynse book nothing.
thank you,
bryan

Last edited:
If you want to just take off the shift knob, it unscrews out, after you first remove the metal collar (like a round nut with 2 notches) that is below the know. Just slip a crescent wrench on there and turn (the collar) like a regular nut to loosen the know. Mine broke, but I liked it so I glued it all up nicely and it works again, it seems to be a common problem. Let us know if you don't understand.

Shifter.jpg

OK...this may help. My understanding is that you broke the actual shifter shaft. To remove it:

The 3 parts that are shown as 37 in the pic, are around the shifter and inside part 34.

Lift the boot (the top part in group 37)
Depress and rotate the retainer (the middle part in group 37)
The retainer will then pop free and the entire shift handle will be removable.

HTH

Rev

You could also go this route for something snappy looking

OK...maybe this will help.

shitlvr.jpg

The parts diagram shows NO parts to hold the lever to the other lever. They are 2 seperate parts, my guess....and this is a big maybe...they are held together with some type of tension clip.

Rev

Back