• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

spare tire and 31" tires

slacker said:
can i use the stock OEM spare tire with 31" MTs?

You need to be more specific. Is your OEM spare a donut, 215, 225 ? Do you have lockers or limited slip rear ?
With lockers or limited slip the spare needs to be the same size as the other side or you can damage the traction device. With no traction device and if the spare is more than 1 inch smaller it is usable but I'd drive real slow.
I'm assuming you either don't have a 31 you can use as a spare or found out that the 31" is a really really tight fit in the stock location. I'm running LT234/75R15 BFG/AT/KO's on mine, have an auburn rear and DO have an LT235/75R15 BFG/AT/KO spare, it's a tight fit but a 30 *might* fit in there. Got 5 30x9.50's off one of our TJ's in the shed so I might pull one out and see if a 30 can fit in my 98XJ, but not today. Moved 3 living room sets from here to NJ and back with 2 new ones so I'm bushed...

RichP said:
the 31" is a really really tight fit in the stock location.
Yup, I've got a 31" spare mounted inside the back of my ' 99 and it IS a tight fit.
Prob would not fit if it was new. (maybe with the back seat laid down)

I always get a spare to match what Iam running.

I had a brand new 31" Dueler MT mounted in the stock mounting position in a 1985 XJ and it fit well.

If you have a fullsize spare right now, head to a used tire store and buy a $25 used 31" tire and have it mounted to the rim. That will at least keep your tires a uniformed height and you are only out $25...as most used tire places will mount for free.

That is my suggestion.

I have a 91 and my 31"x10.5 will not fit so I've got 30"x9.5 spare tire, only got limited slip up front so if I have to fit a spare for a long haul up front I would shift a back tire up front and ride the smaller in the back where there is no LSD but if I'm on the highway just unlock the 4WD and thats it.

SACEM

What if you aired down the tires on the Jeep to match the spare's height? Could you then use a smaller spare with a locker or limited slip?

Timber said:
What if you aired down the tires on the Jeep to match the spare's height? Could you then use a smaller spare with a locker or limited slip?
No, the circumference would be the same and you would shortly have two flats.

It’s not the height it’s the circumference, the smaller tire needs to turn faster than the large one, and that would cause your locker to lock

Really the best solution is to mount the tire on the rack outside, then you can fit any tire size and as a plus more cargo volume.

SACEM

If you carry a cheap air compressor with you you can keep the 31" spare aired down and make it fit in the stock spare location and air it up when you put it on the jeep.

langer1 said:
No, the circumference would be the same and you would shortly have two flats.

It’s not the height it’s the circumference, the smaller tire needs to turn faster than the large one, and that would cause your locker to lock
You're technically correct in terminology; however, when I typed "height" I meant it literally (you don't know me, so I shouldn't have expected you to know that I'm an exceptionally literal person). Why would this result in two flats, though?

Timber said:
You're technically correct in terminology; however, when I typed "height" I meant it literally (you don't know me, so I shouldn't have expected you to know that I'm an exceptionally literal person). Why would this result in two flats, though?
Heat buildup in the all most flat 31" would ruin it.

Back