• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good event for new 4x4er?

sean00xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have been building my XJ ever since I got it new. It's a 00 with 4.10's, 8.8ARB in the rear, 5.5 inches with 32.s, RE drop brackets, HP dana 30, skids, rockers etc...I just put the ARB in it and it is damn time I take this thing offroad (flame me for being a poser the last 5 years) I now live in Kansas , I plan on doing one or two trips with my local club before I would come to Moab. Will I be alright having next to no experience at Moab? Is camping an option if I cannot get a cabin?

Last year was my first time to wheel Moab. On each day, there are trail runs of varying difficulty. So you can pick the trails you want to do. Last year, there were some pretty stock XJs on Steel Bender and Hell's Revenge. So you sound like you could do some of the harder trails.

The base campground is www.slickrockcampground.com There are some cabins there (I call them chicken coops) and regular camping spots. I'm roughing it at the Big Horn Lodge. :laugh3:

The good folks and NAXJA will take good care of you. Thats what going with a orginized group is all about right? Helping others out?

BTW joined in sept of 03 and that was your first post?!?!? Can we say lurker? :D

We'll take care of you man. Come on out and we'll get you set up, you'll get to use those toys you bought and feel challenged. Maybe even learn something in the process ;)

Don't worry about feeling like you don't know much about wheeling, after all we let Dr. Moab play with us and he doesn't know much about anything!

DrMoab said:
BTW joined in sept of 03 and that was your first post?!?!? Can we say lurker? :D

LOL!
We found the one guy who knows how to use the search button. :worship:

:laugh3:

I felt the same way first time to Moab. I was new to wheeling and was a little apprehensive about being so far from home and breaking. I now know better and was very glad I went. Someway somehow you will get home with the our help so just come out and enjoy yourself and go at your own pace.

This is a great event to attend if you have the chance. The only danger is once you come you have to come again, because you can't do it all in one trip. Don't worry come. You will have a good time. But bring a camera for those poser shots.

Mary

Sounds great, I assume there are showers if I decide to camp. Kansas City to Moab...mapquest says 14 hours....i imagine it will be longer. I will make a long vacation of the trip. Are there quad bike tours in the area or any other things I might want to do while I'm there?

I have lurked and used the search function on this site for a few years now that you mention it.

we went out this spring and loved it. we too were apprehensive about the trip and the off roading that would be involved once we got there. it is a very long trip of over two thousand miles and would really not be good if something got broke.

take the trip, enjoy, make plans to come back next year. we are.

we were only able to stay a few days , we almost cancelled the rest of our trip so we could go to the shop in moab, get a lift and bigger tires and do more trails.

litegod said:
we went out this spring and loved it. we too were apprehensive about the trip and the off roading that would be involved once we got there. it is a very long trip of over two thousand miles and would really not be good if something got broke.
That's why it's good to show up with the group. By no means I'm recommending to come unprepared, but should something break that you're not able to handle there will be many people who will have the knowhow (and maybe even parts) that you need.

kejtar, it actually was a vacation that was longer than the trip to moab. it also went to colorado and back home. i wished it was just to moab, would have meant more wheeling time.

the jeep was given a full physical by the mechanic and then another one by myself so it was all great. no mods yet so it could be fixed by any halfazzed competant mechanic on the way, that is if it was something i could not fix myself.

funny thing, about 3hrs away from home i am going through another major city and there is a traffic accident on the freeway so i am listening and hear the fuel pump making noise so i pull off to verify. yep pump was making lots of noise, crap what to do, so we pull into a chain hardware store(candian tire if anybody knows what that is) they tell me that it is the fuel pump making noise but they do not have the part on hand. they thought they had it but once they removed it , it was the wrong one.
we take the jeep and check a parts store that is also owned by the previous hardware store and they have the fuel pump but by now its too late to have it installed. we decide to drive on. if it craps out then we can get a tow or i can try to replace it myself in the ditch, we had the part anyways,and its easy enough to do.
short of the story, we made the entire trip , and now after about 5000 miles we still have the fuel pump sitting on the shelf in the garage (just in case)and the pump is nice and quiet. the R+R the mechainc did must have loosened up some gunk or something.
i tell you there was a lot of decisions to be made that evening.

litegod said:
kejtar, it actually was a vacation that was longer than the trip to moab. it also went to colorado and back home. i wished it was just to moab, would have meant more wheeling time.

the jeep was given a full physical by the mechanic and then another one by myself so it was all great. no mods yet so it could be fixed by any halfazzed competant mechanic on the way, that is if it was something i could not fix myself.

funny thing, about 3hrs away from home i am going through another major city and there is a traffic accident on the freeway so i am listening and hear the fuel pump making noise so i pull off to verify. yep pump was making lots of noise, crap what to do, so we pull into a chain hardware store(candian tire if anybody knows what that is) they tell me that it is the fuel pump making noise but they do not have the part on hand. they thought they had it but once they removed it , it was the wrong one.
we take the jeep and check a parts store that is also owned by the previous hardware store and they have the fuel pump but by now its too late to have it installed. we decide to drive on. if it craps out then we can get a tow or i can try to replace it myself in the ditch, we had the part anyways,and its easy enough to do.
short of the story, we made the entire trip , and now after about 5000 miles we still have the fuel pump sitting on the shelf in the garage (just in case)and the pump is nice and quiet. the R+R the mechainc did must have loosened up some gunk or something.
i tell you there was a lot of decisions to be made that evening.
That's a great story.

TRNDRVR said:
Nope!!! There's no showers in Moab. Remember, you're coming to Utah. :wierd:
I was wondering why I woke up on the ground near the campfire with everyone peeing on me.
Guess it was their way of telling me I stunk.

Okie Terry said:
I was wondering why I woke up on the ground near the campfire with everyone peeing on me.
Guess it was their way of telling me I stunk.
Damn!!! You remember that? I thought for sure you had drank too much the previous night. :D

oh yeah, best thing about the the fuel pump r+r, it was a freebie. they did not have the part so they could not charge for them to look at it.

Well I'm comin...Getting the jeep in final go condition, I hope some of you will be going on the easy and moderate trails to keep me company. What should I do for food and beer? Can this stuff be bought locally?

Back