• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

speedo not working

Its a 90. I replaced the transfer case about 3 months back. The reason I replaced it was cause the other one blew up inside and after that the speedo stopped working. I tried to pull my gauges out to remove the cable but it doesn't allow me to pull it out more than about 2-3 inches. Is there another way to access the cable in the back of the gauge cluster.

Probably depends on the cable. On my 88, I've been able to pull half the cable out and slide it back into the cover, and the speedo is just fine.

I remember that tcase - did you get a new speedo gear? Dumb question, but you haven't answered it yet.

The wheel sensors are usually wired into the ABS, and nearly every vehicle I've worked on has taken the forward speed reading off of the tailshaft - either at the transmission or the transfer case.

What I'd really like to find is a speedo that goes, say, 30-0-90. Why? So I could tell how fast I'm going when I go backwards - and it's something I've never seen...

You might want to try pulling it the cable at the transfer case and see if you can pull the cable out of the sheath - if it's broken, you'll know when you see the far end of what you pull out. You can probably replace the cable without having to pull the sheath and all - just know how long you need it to be, and cut the replacement to fit. The ferrule they give you to make the other square end usually just crimps on, and the square always seems to be a standard size. Lubricate the cable with dry graphite as you insert it into the sleeve.

5-90

What I'd really like to find is a speedo that goes, say, 30-0-90. Why? So I could tell how fast I'm going when I go backwards - and it's something I've never seen...
The only digital speedo I' v seen was it my old T-Bird and it went --0-30 in reverse.

cherokeefun said:
Its a 90. I replaced the transfer case about 3 months back. The reason I replaced it was cause the other one blew up inside and after that the speedo stopped working. I tried to pull my gauges out to remove the cable but it doesn't allow me to pull it out more than about 2-3 inches. Is there another way to access the cable in the back of the gauge cluster.
The issue with my speedo was where it engages the gear at the t case but as 5-90 said you can disconnect the cable at the t case, pull and inspect it and if it's OK re install it and attempt to re engage it with the speedo. Be carefull when re attatching it to the t case, if after all you're work you miss the gear is still wont work.

I would bet that you simply need to rotate the speedo stalk where it plugs into the tcase. It is eccentric and allows for different sizes of speedo gears. If it isn't rotated correctly, the gear does not mesh and presto no speedo. Just for a price point, you can score a whole new speedo cable at autozone for around $10. Surprisingly cheap.

Back