• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What will break? Trip to Junkyard!

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I need to pick up some things from the boneyard this weekend.

When wheeling, what is most likely to break (1990 4.0L Auto)?

I guess the rear driveshaft if usually the one to go right? Any chance of the front DS going?

I have a factory front skid, so I don't imagine I will have much danger of needing a tierod.

I suppose it would be good to get both front axle shafts huh?

Any other things that anyone generally carries that might be a good thing to have a spare of?

What ever you don't have will break, More often than a drive shaft would rear axel, front axel, or diff either end. If you drive hard off road you can break any thing.

Cottontail said:
I guess the rear driveshaft if usually the one to go right? Any chance of the front DS going?
Spare front would also be good to get as the cv joint sometimes goes bad
I have a factory front skid, so I don't imagine I will have much danger of needing a tierod.
I've seen the stock tierod bend from turning when one wheel is wedged so definately pick that up along with a replacement draglink.

I suppose it would be good to get both front axle shafts huh?
for sure :D :D Look especially for post 1989 (IIRC it's post 89) ABS equipped jeeps in order to get the stronger 297 ujoint axle shafts or post 95 (or was it 94?) non abs jeeps.
While working on the axle shafts pick up a replacement unibearing as sometimes those go too (or it might be just hard to get that off the shaft so you can swap in a whole setup in).
Any other things that anyone generally carries that might be a good thing to have a spare of?
hmmmm rear axle shafts are good to carry, and so is a spare water pump (antyhing that will get you or someone else off the trail) as well as an idler pulley, spare belt, spare lower and upper rad hoses (some of those you should have from doing regular maintenance on your jeep).
Other items that come to mind are:
spare yoke straps (for the ujoint on the driveshaft to pumpkin), spare yokes (front and rear, sometimes they are one and the same depending on axles). If you have stock control arms, a set of spares is good (one upper one lower, as they are prone to folding when the axles comes to a sudden stop at a wrong angle).
I guess that about covers it :D

Back