• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

buying a 4x4 few q's

SuperStreetJeep

NAXJA Forum User
My 96 Cherokee sport was stolen at the begining of June, Well I found another one not to far from the house, about an hr drive

it's a 94 4door 4x4 5spd grey int I6 has 104,000 miles .. my 96 that got stolen had 180k =D

but I had a few questions I'm going to look at it Sat, with every intention of buying it the guy is asking $2,500 But there are a few things wrong

The windshield is Cracked and there is no radio other than that he said everything was fine, I will know for sure when i take a look at it myself

Now this is the first 4x4 I will own, What should I look and listen for?

any pointers anyone has or suggestions before I dump my money into this jeep?

thanks

Brandon

Also .. how hard is it to replace a windshield.. could i do it in my driveway or should i just spend the money and have it professionally done?

SuperStreetJeep said:
My 96 Cherokee sport was stolen at the begining of June, Well I found another one not to far from the house, about an hr drive

it's a 94 4door 4x4 5spd grey int I6 has 104,000 miles .. my 96 that got stolen had 180k =D

but I had a few questions I'm going to look at it Sat, with every intention of buying it the guy is asking $2,500 But there are a few things wrong

The windshield is Cracked and there is no radio other than that he said everything was fine, I will know for sure when i take a look at it myself

Now this is the first 4x4 I will own, What should I look and listen for?

any pointers anyone has or suggestions before I dump my money into this jeep?

thanks

Brandon

Also .. how hard is it to replace a windshield.. could i do it in my driveway or should i just spend the money and have it professionally done?

I guess the main thing I should have pointed out, is that I hve never driven a 4x4 and im a bit confused about the whole thing

do you have to use the clutch to engauge and disengauge the 4x4 .. do you need to be stoped hmm whats the differnce between 4lo and 4hi , does the transfercase hold fluid? what is it? regular tranny fluid?

I bought a cd player im just hoping the guy had a system and took it out because he didnt want the cdplayer to go with the car, im hoping the wiring is all in tact so i can just hardwire the cd player i bought in

Awesome, man, 4 years ago I bought a 95 XJ, 4.0 4x4, 5spd and low mileage a few years ago so I was pleasently satisfied. The price sounds good.

In theory, you can engage the 4HI in gear. I prefer to use the clutch though, maybe its unnecessary seems a bit easier. 4LO I would not engage while in motion, unless it rolling real slow. Niether should really be used on dry hard pavement. Only for loose surfaces. 4LOW is just that, four wheel drive but also geared down a bit fore more traction, 2.72:1 I think. I would just engage the 4HI/LOW to make sure it just engages.

The t-case is filled with lubricant, has a fill and drain hole like the m/t. Uses Dex II automatic tranny fluid.

Don't attempt the windshield yourself. It uses a special adhesive and has to be cut out and reinstalled properly. If you booger it up, like whoever redid mine, you will be putting towels and buckets on the dash when it rains. I live in SoCal though so its not a big deal for me.

Just give it the once over and look/listen closely at the engine and whole drivetrain. Look for metal particles or coolant (milky) in the oil and vice versa. Check to see if the engine is well maintained (newish hoses, belts, etc) or that the owner beat the snot out of it and never did anything. You can usually tell right away. Oh yeah, turn on and off EVERYTHING in the car. YOu don't want electrical gremlins.

I'm sure others will chime in introducing you to the 4x4 world.

Back