• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case rebuild

BILLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
..as the sun slowly sets tonight,it is looking pretty bad for a successful and inexpensive rebuild of my transfer case.Panic is beginning to quickly set in .Must slow down and think. Initially everything was going fine ,until all these needle and ball bearing started to drop out from everywhere. I have a schematic of the transfer case,but I don't know if I will be able to re-assemble the parts/needle bearing,etc. back together correctly.-What are my chances/prospects of correctly re-assembling this unit ? I am presently thinking about going to a shop and haveing them do the re-assembly at some cost.:mad:

I'd say give it a shot! All that can happen is it dosent work, right? Use some grease to help with the bearings and remember the shift fork pads. GOOD LUCK

..will be contacting National Drivetrain and the JB people to see if they have any more detailed information about how to get everything back in correctly ,especially those small pesky needle bearings. Would really like to hear from any of those souls who advise ",just split the case and go for it"! Right now I'm feeling like I'm in deep ----

Ive had mine apart many times.What cocerns me is that all the bearings whether ball/needle are all "captive".If you have loose bearings you need new ones anyway!

i have never torn down a case til i had to install my aa sye. took me longer than expected, but now i can do it with my eyes closed. actually i ended up getting drunk and did do it with my eyes closed for a while.

,..okay,..maybe I'm over-acting ,but will re-think and review my decision to give the rebuild to a commercial jobber.Very confuseing and frustrateing at this point. Can't understand where or how these various little bearings came apart ,also no clue how/where to replace.
...sorry for all the earlier "whineing"~
~Thx all

Bill,

feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

I'll be at national drivetrain in the morning to pick up some parts, when I return, I'll be able to talk you throught the har dparts....

don't sweat it, the t-case is cake....

use grease as if it were glue to keep the needle bearings in-tact....

if you call nat-d-train in chicaho, ask for kevin ethelridge, tell him bj mcdonald sent you.

..thanks again everyone,especially Beezil for his generous offer and advice . Quiet and somewhat encouraged today by hearing the words "piece-of-cake" after "hysterical panic" yesterday afternoon.Will return to workbench and contiue to dismantle transfer case with more confidence~TIA

Back