• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange coolant leak

white99z

NAXJA Forum User
I posted earlier about having overheating problemsand the jeep just seemed to stop overheating as the weather cooled down. I noticed it was overheating because I could smell coolant and the interior got extremely hot. I am beginning to think that it wasnt ever overheating as I discovered today what the coolant smell was. There is coolant leaking onto my floormats from the heater vent on the passenger side. What would cause coolant to leak inside? I figured it was coolant because it was the color of my coolant, slippery, and had a sweet taste. Any ideas here?

If it's the heater core then the dash has to come out and the core replaced, only a matter of time till it ruptures. I'd also suggest you do the A/C at the same time, you will need to have it evacuated anyway to remove the heater box which houses the evap and heater core.
The only other possibility I can think of is one of the hoses might have a pinhole leak in it's end and it could be squirting coolant directly at one of the bungs that attaches to the heater core on the firewall. Yea, I know, that possiblity is about .01%, I believe the term is 'grabbing at straws'...
The reason I mention the evap too is because I'm assuming you have a 99 from your user name and jeeps are not well known for quality a/c components, the one on my 98 leaks and it's getting worse to where a a/c recharge now only lasts about 2 weeks.

Thanks for the info guys. How much is a new heater core gonna run me? How difficult is it to install? Oh yeah and my jeep is actually a 95. The 99 in my username comes from my car I had before my jeeps. IT was a white 99 monte carlo z34. I already joined many forums when I had that so I figured I would carry my username over.

When I get everything out, how will I be able to tell if the A/C evaporator needs to be replaced? As of right now my air only blows out of the defrost vent. I thought it was a vacuum leak. Could the leaky heater core be why this is happening or do I have a vacuum leak also? Also, what other A/C / Heater parts should I change while I have my dash ripped out?

Back