• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Length

rokclimbertx

NAXJA Member #1267
hey all...

trying to find drivebelt lenghts for my '01... searched a ew options but only found '95 numbers...

my ac compressor and/or clutch & pulley are going out according to the horrible growling brake-like grinding noise coming out of it, bearings prolly... so until i can locate a new one i'd like to bypass the compressor with a shorter belt... anyone know what size???

using the '95 numbers (w/ac 97.5, 71 w/out) i took the o'rielly w/ac of 95 difference and came up with a 68.5 for w/out ac... think that'll work?

thanks!
stace

YOu cannot use a shorter belt to bypass the A/C pulley. I tried to do the same thing you are wanting to do and it wouldn't work. On the XJ's without A/c they used an Idler pulley where the A/C pulley is. Hope this helps the only chance you have on an "01 model is a junkyard compressor (most won't sell just the clutch) or the 239 dollar clutch kit from the dealer. I e-mailed the company that made the bearing in for the A/C Clutch and they still have not e-mailed me back yet it has been about 3 weeks now.

i wish i had waited for a response... i found out as devildog stated it cant be done... tried tightening the belt a little as i read that sometimes helped with compressor noise but no luck... i'll be taking the short belt back and hitting autozone up for the compressor they have for $250... got the check engine light on now that i'm done messing with it... always something... thanks for the info guys...

stace

if you have a Salvage yard nearby try to get a compressor from them. I picked mine up its still good and had a good clutch untill I pulled it and put it on my heap for 53 bucks.

Back