• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting Fenders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
I know what I want to cut, and where BUT need advice on the right blade/tool.

I have a good Dremel, I have a good Jig Saw, USING ONE OF THOSE TOOLS, what kind of blade or wheel will make the cleanest and easiest cut. I'd rather not go through 2 tubes of cut off wheels if not necessary.

I plan to cut and remove the material and NOT fold it up and under. I have 40 feet of 5/8" Protekto edge trim all ready to install and will paint over it as well.

I'll be cutting to the top edge of the flat area with the holes in the front and to the very edge of the pinch seam in the back.

Ideas from the hacking and wacking contingent??

Thanks,

Rob

Dremels are for girls. Get an angle grinder with metal cutting wheel. Or use your jig saw with a fine tooth metal blade.

Cooter-King said:
use a zaw saw

A what?!

Are you trying to say sawzall?

sawzall.jpg

Dermel will work fine, just get the "Heavy Duty" cut off wheels. Sawzall sucks, makes the fender bounce around to much.

A nibbler is the way to go for trimming sheet metal. Very short stroke, so it doesn't flex the metal all over the place, and no worries about what else it's cutting through farther inside the fenders.

lesslimited said:
A nibbler is the way to go for trimming sheet metal. Very short stroke, so it doesn't flex the metal all over the place, and no worries about what else it's cutting through farther inside the fenders.

one of these you say?

nibbler01.jpg

Last edited:
ever thought about using a bowsaw? i think that's what the name is, it's the saw with the real fine teeth. I cut off the tips of my rear fender with that tool. You control the speed, which is going to be slow. The chance of error is slim to none. Just be sure to file down the edges when you're done, and you're good.

Rocketman said:
I know what I want to cut, and where BUT need advice on the right blade/tool.

I have a good Dremel, I have a good Jig Saw, USING ONE OF THOSE TOOLS, what kind of blade or wheel will make the cleanest and easiest cut. I'd rather not go through 2 tubes of cut off wheels if not necessary.

I plan to cut and remove the material and NOT fold it up and under. I have 40 feet of 5/8" Protekto edge trim all ready to install and will paint over it as well.

I'll be cutting to the top edge of the flat area with the holes in the front and to the very edge of the pinch seam in the back.

Ideas from the hacking and wacking contingent??

Thanks,

Rob
If you cut to that point you will be cutting away the spot welds that attach the quarter panel to the inner fender.
Bad idea.
Fixable but PITA. (think welding coke cans)
Cut less and fold over. If you keep the folds tight you can still use the edging.

seanR said:
Hell just start whacking.
that is what I did, it didn't take too many tissues to fix the mess that I made.

Fixed. Too easy.

hey, I used a dremel too.

I even had the 3 ft snake attachment

it was like cutting metal with a ball point pen, I loved it!

and I only went through 8 discs in two fenders, about half of them shattered, so wear goggles if you go down that road.

30000 rpm cant be all that wrong can it?

If you have an air compressor, I will recommend an air body saw, or maybe just called an air saw.

My brother bought the harbor freight one for 20 bucks like 2 years ago, and we've used it to hell and have had absolutely no problems with it. It's super fast, makes very smooth cuts, and very easy to make turns. I've easily cut a 1.5" diameter hole with it, can definitely go smaller.

harbor freight saw

I saw a husky brand one in lowes the other day if you don't trust harbor freight junk.

_nicko_

seanR said:
Hell just start whacking.
that is what I did, it didn't take too much welding to fix the mess that I made.

seem to remember "The IP blocked son" helping to make your mess... :D

XplodJeepster said:
hey, I used a dremel too.

I even had the 3 ft snake attachment

it was like cutting metal with a ball point pen, I loved it!

and I only went through 8 discs in two fenders, about half of them shattered, so wear goggles if you go down that road.

30000 rpm cant be all that wrong can it?

I agree.. I have attempted using a dremel and the HD cutting discs to cut things.. its a huge pain! oh, and those shattering discs dont just go for your eyes... wear chainmale.

I used a cheap ($9 HF) angle grinder w/ cutoff wheel.. It worked for the fenders (but they are not child friendly... keep hands and fingers away) but on the second fender something broke inside and all cutting stopped...
for the rear I just cut some slits and hammered it back.. real simple..

I just used a sawzall. You have to get the speed down, but once you do that, you go right through them. Didnt even wear down the blade. And it didnt shatter or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back