• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Posi + Locker? Is it possible?

krakhedd

NAXJA Forum User
Pretty much what the subject says.

I DO NOT want:
1) Mechanical locker. It will eat up expensive tires on-road.
2) Regular Posi. It will not completely lock my rear axle when I'm in trouble off-road and need traction on 1 tire.

I DO want:
1) Posi for on-road. Inside tire spin around turns is bad, even worse in rain/snow, sometimes I would rather not use the PT 4wd in snow since there are dry spots around turns.
2) The ability to completely lock the axle (again, in case of off-road drama).

So, what are my options? I am thinking an electric locker or an air locker, but am not sure if these can be set up on a Posi diff.

I tried thread searching and couldn't find anything relating to this.

Thanks guys!

PS - Oh yeah, I've got a Chrysler 8.25", 3.55 gears.

ARB acts like an open diff when unlocked. The Electrac, I believe, acts as a limited slip when unlocked. I'm not sure if it is applicable to the 8.25 axle though.

ARB's aren't posi when unlocked. Detroit Electrac or Eaton e-locker are what you're looking for, and I think that is it for the current offerings... still expensive.

I stand corrected. I heard that either the E-locker or ther Electrac had problems, is there any justification to this rumor. I seem to remember reading that somewhere's a while ago.

xj-grin said:
ARB's aren't posi when unlocked. Detroit Electrac or Eaton e-locker are what you're looking for, and I think that is it for the current offerings... still expensive.
There's also lockrite, there ratchet type and full lockup for under $250.00

langer1 said:
There's also lockrite, there ratchet type and full lockup for under $250.00

Full lock up, yes, but all the time (i.e. no open or posi operation). I have done a good deal of driving in snow with a full time locker (lockrite), and I didn't mind it, once I got used to the quirks... I also had no problems with tire wear, as a mechanical fulltime locker only acts like a spool when under load, so if you let off it in turns, your outside can still spin quicker than the inside.

A local 4x4 shop told me they'd set me up with a Lockrite for $425-$450 installed (all brand-new parts). Is this a good deal?

Also, what sort of installed price would be good for an Electrac?

I know I can take off my rear axle and re-install it w/o taking it to a shop, relatively quickly. How long would it take me to install an Electrac by myself? I've heard that setting up rear ends is an absolute PITA, and don't want to get into anything I can't finish (daily driver/only vehicle).

I'm going to go search for the Electrac and find out if it's Posi operation when unlocked.

Also, I'll probably find this out anyway while searching, but what are the electrical current requirements for the Electrac? Do I flip the switch and a solenoid activates, that requires constant power to be engaged? Is it electro-magnetic? If constant power is required, how many amperes?

Thanks for quick responses guys! Appreciate the info, as always.

Nah, I found the Electrac on Detroit's web page. It sounds like what I want - LS for on-road, ability to lock when off-road - so we'll see about the price. I just found the web page for it, so I haven't delved in TOO far yet...

The only reason I don't want a plain-Jane LS is because, say like 2 months ago when I got stuck, I had 2 tires planted, and the other 2 were dangling in the air. If I had a Posi, I would have burnt out the clutches, and still been stuck, whereas if I had a locker, I would have saved the $100 it cost to get a tow.

By the same token though, a "true locker" would not suit me for for street driving, which is (unfortunately) the vast majority of the use for my Jeep. I still would like something that performs like Posi when not locked, and has the ability to be locked. Electrac sounds like the answer - now to check on pricing.....

EDIT: http://www.detroitlocker.com/DE.htm

Hey, as a sidenote (maybe the wrong place to ask this), but does anybody out there in Western NY area (Buffalo/Northern suburbs) want to get together and go wheeling sometime? I got a great place to go. Nothing too spectacular - some spots where you need 4wd, mostly just fun as hell in 2wd sliding the rear end around though. Let me know!

krakhedd said:
A local 4x4 shop told me they'd set me up with a Lockrite for $425-$450 installed (all brand-new parts). Is this a good deal?.

No. You could easily do this install yourself, the part itself should be in the neighborhood of $250

krakhedd said:
Also, what sort of installed price would be good for an Electrac?
You'd probably be looking at around $1000 or more

krakhedd said:
I know I can take off my rear axle and re-install it w/o taking it to a shop, relatively quickly. How long would it take me to install an Electrac by myself? I've heard that setting up rear ends is an absolute PITA, and don't want to get into anything I can't finish (daily driver/only vehicle).

If you haven't done gears before your Daily driver is probably not a good place to start.

If you do want to try it yourself you'll probably need to buy several specialized tools(dial indicator, case spreader, press etc..)
to do a gear install.

I know at lease one if not both of the electrac / e -locker is a posi when un-locked. but they are very pricey, but if you must have what you described, then thats what you need if they make it for your axle.

good luck

I just spoke with the same guy at the same shop I referred to earlier in this thread. He confirmed Detroit doesn't make an Electrac for the 8.25" yet, and he ALSO said that on the axles supported, 1) there is a large backorder for them (which means either they are wildly popular or having production problems), and 2) they are having lots of technical difficulties.

Anybody know something about this, and care to comment?

ECU88XJ said:
If you haven't done gears before your Daily driver is probably not a good place to start.

If you do want to try it yourself you'll probably need to buy several specialized tools(dial indicator, case spreader, press etc..)
to do a gear install.

I know at lease one if not both of the electrac / e -locker is a posi when un-locked. but they are very pricey, but if you must have what you described, then thats what you need if they make it for your axle.

good luck

Yeah, I figured as much.

What makes the Lockrite so much easier (not to sound cocky - just very curious)?

I could probably find somebody I know who has all the tools, but I'll have to ask around first. $1000+ is WAY more than I want to spend. Hell, I'd have a problem spending more than maybe $500 for an Electrac.

Sounds like I should heed my extremely cynical (and practical) brother's advice, and just be a careful driver, so that I don't get myself into situations where I need a locker.

IH8RDS said:
Quick question. Do you have 27 or 29 spline? They do not make a lockrite for the 29 spline. You will have to get a Powertrax No-slip if it has 29 spline, the big brother of the Lock-rite.

Good question. I used to know, but forgot - I think it's 29 spline. I think that's the one that came with the 8.25" - could be dead wrong.

Short of tearing the axle apart and manually counting the splines, is there any indication (VIN, axle tag, etc.) as to how many splines?

For someone (like me) who has a tendency to be a little aggressive with their driving, and likes to take advantage of the 4.0s low-end torque to merge into traffic (while turning), this would eat up my tires quite a bit, no? Because it's either locked or open, no in-between, right?

I was just reading about the Powertrax, and I couldn't tell if it provides a Posi-type operation mode, or either open or locked.

Please elaborate. I will be leaving work shortly, and won't have Internet access for some time, so may not get back to you for a little while.

God bless Jeeps and Jeepers. I'm probably going out wheeling again tonight! Woo-hoo!!! More fun in the mud!!!

I cut and pasted this:

The No-Slip Locker operation is fully automatic and designed to send power to the wheels. When driving straight, the No-Slip will lock the axles together similar to a spool. However, when the wheels need to differentiate in a turn, the No-Slip will allow the outside wheel to rotate faster to complete the turn. The internal gears on the No-Slip will overrun each other to allow this differentiation. In most vehicles, you will hear a light clicking noise as the gears are overrunning themselves. When operating off-road, the No-Slip will always send power to both wheels. For example, if you are rock crawling and one wheel is in the air (complete loss of traction), the wheel on the ground will receive the power to keep you going. This is normal of most lockers on the market today. Whether it is snow, sand, mud, ice, etc... No-Slip will give you the traction you need.

The Powertrax No-Slip is an automatic locker... it locks up when you apply throttle and allows the outer wheel to freewheel around turns when throttle is released. It operates the same as an Aussie or Lockrite, but is synchronized to eliminate much of the ratcheting noises commonly associated with the other lunchbox lockers. I had one in my DD XJ for awhile and it was great. No strange tire wear to speak of, great traction off road, and fairly predictable behavior on road. I've heard they are even smoother behind an automatic than the manual transmission I had. YMMV.

Edit: Ah, Scott was faster.

Back