• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help please: stranded

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
I got up today to go to school when my 96 4.0 cherokee wouldn't start. I turned the key and nothing happened. after a while the starter made some weird clicking noise, similar to the sound of someone welding and as loud (almost). I miss my class and go to the parts place and buy a new starter, install it, and it does the same thing still! Is it my battery?

any help would be gratiously appreciated, thanks guys

Jesse

prb24 said:
Sounds like a dead battery to me...see if someone can jump-start you...
No don't jump it, the sound you heard could be a shorted battery and a jump could cause an explosion, Pull the battery and test it, don't use a jump untill you find out whats wrong.

noresttill said:
I got up today to go to school when my 96 4.0 cherokee wouldn't start. I turned the key and nothing happened. after a while the starter made some weird clicking noise, similar to the sound of someone welding and as loud (almost). I miss my class and go to the parts place and buy a new starter, install it, and it does the same thing still! Is it my battery?

any help would be gratiously appreciated, thanks guys

Jesse
did the cluster light up? did you get any indicator lights on?

Got it started. thanks a lot, I didn't jump it, but i did pull the battery, it was dead. so with new batt and new starter (i didn't realize how slow i was cranking) It runs pretty darn good.

thanks everyone, and I feel like a complete idiot for not thinking the battery first, but in my defense every car i have seen with dead battery had no life in it except maybe a click from the starter.

until the next emergency, thnks

Jesse

langer1 said:
No don't jump it, the sound you heard could be a shorted battery and a jump could cause an explosion, Pull the battery and test it, don't use a jump untill you find out whats wrong.

I guess I've never ran across that before. All the times I've had a dead battery, I usually found the culprit while trying to start it (dome light on, headlights on). It seems odd that a short would occur overnight, but I suppose it has to happen sometime.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep that in mind for the future...

Last edited:
with my 94 i have to worry about the same problem sometimes. i open the thing up and try to start it and it just clicks, before i try to strat it all my shit works, and after i try none if it works, i dont know what the problem is but i think its just connection, i jiggle the wires a bit and then it starts up and seems as if there is no problem, i dont know what the problem is but it hapens from time to time.

prb24 said:
I guess I've never ran across that before. All the times I've had a dead battery, I usually found the culprit while trying to start it (dome light on, headlights on). It seems odd that a short would occur overnight, but I suppose it has to happen sometime.

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll keep that in mind for the future...
The key thing here is no one picked up on the" arcing buzzing noise like a welder"part.

Several more things to check are your charging system (alernator), shorts to the body, or broken wires and make sure you have a tight belt.

You can get these checked out at most parts stores.

A low battery will also cause your starter relay to click rapidly. Not enough voltage to hold the circuit closed.

Last edited:
Back