• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New XJ (newb questions)

hockeyplurr

NAXJA Forum User
I might be picking up an '89 XJ tomorrow. 4.0. Automatic, Dana 35 rear. I want to build this in to a good wheeler as well as a dd. Now from what I have been reading I hear the Dana 35 is crap. Is the Dana 44 out of another XJ stronger, if I was to put a locker in it. Or should I try to find a 8.8? Whats involved in the swap of the 44, this seems the easiest option. Im also still not sure what size lift and tire I want to run, I was thinking a 3.5" XJ Super-Flex Kit with rear springs, and some fender triming to run either a 32 or 33 swamper. What do you think>? And what am I missing??

Dana 44 would be the better choice. It all depends on how much $$$ you want to spend. Building a trail rig is a never ending project. If you have the opportunity to get a D44 then do it. Just about everybody will tell you that the D35 is a bomb waiting to go off. I, personally, have D35 with a Detroit locker and haven't had any problems. It just depends on what type of wheeling your going to do. I have a buddy that has a D44 and is locked up both front and rear. I can follow him on damn near anything that he does. Treat you rig with respect and it will do you right.
As far as the lift goes 3.5" is a good starting point but I'm sure you'll be like the rest of us and want to go higher. I would go with 32's. Even with those you may want to think about regearing. Otherwise you'll loose OD. You probably will anyway unless you get up to the higher speeds.
Hope that gives you a little insite.
Something else you will want to consider is a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator) When you go up you WILL get a vibration. Its the rear driveline being pulled out of the transfercase. There is no slipe yoke on the driveline itself but instead in the TC. The SYE removes the stock output shaft from the TC and replaces it with a flange mount driveline. It also puts a CV joint and the slip yoke on the driveline. The CV joint helps with the driveline angles. The only problem is the $$$$. Mine cost me about $900 but well worth the investment.
See ya..................Mikey

Last edited:
Hey guys
Ive had 94 jeep cherokee for 11 years now with over 153,000 orignal miles. I just decided that I wanted to put a lift kit on it and do some mudding. Ive been stuck many times and I really want a ride that is hard as nails to get stuck, and perhapse pull some of my buddies out when they get their blazers and explorers stuck. I have no idea inthe direction I should go... anyone have any ideas? your help is greatly appreciated, also Im a bit tight with the money as of right now, so the cheaper options might be better. I'm not sure, in any case what should I do?

crazy4moab said:
Mine cost me about $900 but well worth the investment.
See ya..................Mikey

How in the hell did you spend $900 on an SYE?? Is it titanium?

SYE + Tom woods drive shaft = $500 shipped from Rustys....and if you stay at 3.5 inches of lift there really isnt any need for an SYE (IN MOST CASES) you should be fine with a simple transfer case drop.

dsgray16 said:
How in the hell did you spend $900 on an SYE?? Is it titanium?

SYE + Tom woods drive shaft = $500 shipped from Rustys....and if you stay at 3.5 inches of lift there really isnt any need for an SYE (IN MOST CASES) you should be fine with a simple transfer case drop.
that is the rear driveshaft right?

hockeyplurr said:
Thats what I like to here. Is it a day project? Or longer? Also is the dana 30 up front no good too? Or will it hold up?

The Dana 30 up front is good to about 35" tires. Depending on mods you can go larger.

The Dana 44 would be your best bet in the rear, bolt on from another xj. 8.8 is a next best thing. Either will do you fine for 33's with a locker.

At 3.5" of lift on a 89 there should be no reason for a SYE or transfer case drop. Just make sure everything is shimmed right and you should be fine. You can do the SYE later if you want to.

HTH,
Michael

Cooter-King said:
Hey guys
I really want a ride that is hard as nails to get stuck, and perhapse pull some of my buddies out when they get their blazers and explorers stuck.

To limit your chances of getting stuck in the mud you need the following:
The best mud tires (you pick for your area)
Lockers front and back
As much ground clearance as possible
Winch to pull yourself out when you DO get stuck.

Michael

thanks, anyone in florida that can suggest some tires? and if i get lockers am i going to have to replace my front and rear differential?

2xtreme said:
The Dana 30 up front is good to about 35" tires. Depending on mods you can go larger.

:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

crazy4moab said:
Dana 44 would be the better choice.
You mean the easier choice.

VegasAnthony said:
the blind leading the blind
ya gotta love it
TOTALLY!!

cracker said:
:bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs::bs:

Will the 35 hold up locked and running 32's???

Look, the 35 is a weak axle. You can put money into it with a locker and maybe gears, but IMHO thats just a waste of money. Running 32s is a gamble, and if you ever want to go bigger that axle is a time bomb. Just go find an 8.8 or a 44.

Back