• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliable front tow hook setup??

BIG-G

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a series of pics to where there is an "L" bracket right where the tow bracket goes exept minus the long bar in the back. My bumper is bolted to it and i plan to add the tow hooks right to it cause the bolts are long enough for both. If you look at the picture of the frame you can see the "L" bracket goes all the way up and has bolts in it and i can add more and i AM going to put a bead of weld around it as well and on the reverse picture (other side of "L" bracket), will bet another bead of weld as well.
You can see where im holding the hook is exactly where they will be in plain view.
Comment sugestions and advice is all needed and welcome here for this to be a decent tow point!!!

P.S=I'm too poor to afford the tow bracket kit when im hitting a trail run in 2 weeks so will this do???????
9stikm.jpg

9stiwy.jpg

9stjc5.jpg

9stjjt.jpg

I would be inclined to pass it on a tech. While not being "ideal", it does appear to be suitable. Of course I reserve the right to change my opinon when viewing it in person.

Rev

Passing tech at 100% isnt the total goal (sort of). I say sort of because the $75 bucks for the tow bracket kit just isnt in my wallet but my welder is sitting right here. the plan is whether or not they will be strong enough to yank my XJ out of the mud!!!!

I failed to mention that i will also weld a piece of steel ontop of that one and have it go a foot or so down the frame just like the tow hook brackets to spread the weight out. That will be welded as well and i can drill & tap more bolts IF nessessarry! ?????

MORE comments, concerns and opinions here please!!

BIG-G said:
Passing tech at 100% isnt the total goal (sort of). I say sort of because the $75 bucks for the tow bracket kit just isnt in my wallet but my welder is sitting right here. the plan is whether or not they will be strong enough to yank my XJ out of the mud!!!!

I failed to mention that i will also weld a piece of steel ontop of that one and have it go a foot or so down the frame just like the tow hook brackets to spread the weight out. That will be welded as well and i can drill & tap more bolts IF nessessarry! ?????

Make sure you save room it the back, to haul your bumper and grill guard back home

langer1 said:
Make sure you save room it the back, to haul your bumper and grill guard back home

Im taking it no one thinks this will hold up at all and isnt worth the effort.

So i guess my only option is to get the tow hook packadge.

BIG-G said:

Like I said....ideal? No. Suitable? Yes. I would use it to try and recover you, and you will not find anyone more concerned about hook mounting than me.

Rev

Is that a plate I see inside the frame rail in picture 2?

If so looks like a couple of extra bolts or even a plug weld to that plate and you would be good to go.

As it currently sits, IMHO it isn't even close to adequate. If you weld on arms to extend back to the additional holes used by the factory tow hook brackets, and if your welds are good, and if the steel is at least 3/16" (1/4" preferable), then it might be adequate. But, as someone else said, I would reserve the right to hold final opinion pending an inspection of the final result.

Extend the angle bracket that is bolted in with the bumper mount rearward to pick up the reinforced hole (the one all the way to the right in the 3rd pic, it spreads the load along the length of the pseudo-frame rail), and then gusset the horizontal leg of the angle up to the vertical (reinforces for side loads, which the factory brackets lack) and you will be better off than the factory brackets. Use 1/4" plate. Don't bother welding it to the unibody. Also, add an angle inside the front radiator support to pick up the 2 forward most bumper bracket holes and the existing holes in the front face of the radiator support. This mimics parts in the factory bracket kit and reinforces that spot welded junction.

Last edited:
So do you guys think this method will be adequite for atleast ONE day of wheeling untill i have the $$ for the tow hook packadge?????
HONESTLY??

BIG-G said:
So do you guys think this method will be adequite for atleast ONE day of wheeling untill i have the $$ for the tow hook packadge?????
HONESTLY??
Just don't get stuck, everyone needs to know their limitations.

If you do what I suggested then you won't have to get the tow hook package. You'll have essentially fabbed it yourself.

Lawn Cher' said:
If you do what I suggested then you won't have to get the tow hook package. You'll have essentially fabbed it yourself.

Thats what ive been trying to say is that it all comes down to a home made fab tow bracket!!
We have tons of home fabbed, snorkles, disco's, body armor etc. so why not give thisone a shot?

Well im gonna try to meet everyone half way and call up some of the scrap yards and see if i can find a pair of the brackets and for god sakes i hope i do because i really dont wanna be the outcast or the guy that everyone is worried about on the trails!!

BIG-G said:
for god sakes ... i really dont wanna be the outcast or the guy that everyone is worried about on the trails!!

Too late for that, I'm afraid. :wierd:

BIG-G said:
Ha Ha!!! You better show up then man since your one out of the 2 board guys ive met. DONT WIMP OUT!!!

What are you smoking? We've never met.

BIG-G said:
Well im gonna try to meet everyone half way and call up some of the scrap yards and see if i can find a pair of the brackets and for god sakes i hope i do because i really dont wanna be the outcast or the guy that everyone is worried about on the trails!!

'Bout $12 from my local U-pull it yard...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mjeff87/towhook3.jpg

The latest set I got even has the brace under the rad support that Mark mentions. Those are '97+up ones. The pre-97 ones are similar (little less beefy and the bumper mount holes are slightly different.
Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
'Bout $12 from my local U-pull it yard...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/mjeff87/towhook3.jpg

The latest set I got even has the brace under the rad support that Mark mentions. Those are '97+up ones. The pre-97 ones are similar (little less beefy and the bumper mount holes are slightly different.
Jeff

I was referring to a third piece that you missed, Jeff. It is an angle bracket with nuts welded to it that reinforces the sheetmetal sandwich of the front two bumper bracket holes. This angle itself gets bolted to the radiator support. The wavy brace you picked up is not all that useful... I've tweaked two sets of factory brackets from side loads. It is because the horizontal leg to which the hook is attached has no gusset to prevent it from bending.

Back