• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98xj TRANS. SHIFT

XJ1998JEEP

NAXJA Forum User
It Had Been Shifting A Little Hard So I Decided To Go Ahead And Do A Fluid/filter Change. Well Now Sometimes It Shifts Smooth And Sometimes It Shifts Hard I.e. 1-2 Shift And Sometimes It Has To Climb A Little Higher In Rpm Before It Shifts Into Any Gear. Also I Just Noticed When I'm At 1/3 Throttle Or Better It Acts Like Its Slipping In The Midshift To Overdrive.

If the fluid level is correct (checked hot with engine running, tranny in Park), then I would suspect the Throttle Position Sensor. The TPS provides a signal to the Transmission Control Unit that is essential for correct shifting. My shifting got quite weird when I needed a new TPS.

I would take it to a tranny shop right away. I was having problems exactly like you described, and the tranny had basically been destroyed. Get it checked out quick before you get bigger problems.

perhaps make sure you have the correct type of fluid in there before you declare it toasted?

Back