• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Busted Dana 44

langer1

NAXJA Forum User
Out for a little wheeling Sunday and tore diff out of my xj.
I posted it the mod section because I don' think that my 87 4.0l should have a dana 44 but it does. It's 3.73 (41-11) and has some kind on auto locker in it. It's got teeth like a lockrite.
Anyho I can't find a basket and gears, every place I try it comes back it should be a AMC or Dana 35 in the butt.
Even blew a hole in the cover:mad:

langer1 said:
I posted it the mod section because I don' think that my 87 4.0l should have a dana 44 but it does. It's 3.73 (41-11) and has some kind on auto locker in it. It's got teeth like a lockrite.
Anyho I can't find a basket and gears, every place I try it comes back it should be a AMC or Dana 35 in the butt.

Thanks for sharing...do you have a question?

all standard rotion dana 44's use the smae carrier and gears. finding used 3:73's and a czarrier will be easy check pirates bulliten board,or even your local junkyard, as for teh locker I cant tell ya what it is witout a pic

langer1 said:

'87 was actually the most commom year for the 44. Don't know much about your rig do ya? And what he said, did ya have a question???

The parts dont have to be from an xj dana 44 ANY 44 will work. just call your local junkyard and ASK.

I need a dana 44 carrer for 3:73 and up and a set pf 3:73 gears. What do ya got?

xjnation said:
The parts dont have to be from an xj dana 44 ANY 44 will work. just call your local junkyard and ASK.

I need a dana 44 carrer for 3:73 and up and a set pf 3:73 gears. What do ya got?

you better call a QUALIFIED yard there Bry. Anyone worth their salt will know what to get for it.

You want the IGNORANT parts guy...to take advantage of.

actually you can get them new fairly inexpensive...Priced a d44 carrier here in Portland...for like $50.00 for 4.10 and up...about 60 in seals and bearings...the spicer gears were the most expensive at $160.00 or so....

I'm hacking the parts together for my axle now.

xjnation said:

Any idea about spline count, I need lots more than the carrer, a spider broke and got everything.

Do yourself a favor and buy a locker or at least a limited slip. I would pass on replacing it with factory stuff... might as well updgrade since you have to replace anyway.

-jm

Last edited:
langer1 said:
Any idea about spline count, I need lots more than the carrer, a spider broke and got everything.

the spiders are considered part of the carrier. all dana 44's are 30 spline except for the earliest units fron the 60's which wher 19 spline...massive splines

as ARB says: a dana 44 is a dana 44 is a dana 44.

red91inWA said:
you better call a QUALIFIED yard there Bry. Anyone worth their salt will know what to get for it.

You want the IGNORANT parts guy...to take advantage of.

actually you can get them new fairly inexpensive...Priced a d44 carrier here in Portland...for like $50.00 for 4.10 and up...about 60 in seals and bearings...the spicer gears were the most expensive at $160.00 or so....

I'm hacking the parts together for my axle now.

or for 350.00 you cna buy this from me and get it off my hands

dana 44 for sale :laugh3:

xjnation said:
the spiders are considered part of the carrier. all dana 44's are 30 spline except for the earliest units fron the 60's which wher 19 spline...massive splines

as ARB says: a dana 44 is a dana 44 is a dana 44.
unless it's from an isuzu or corvette :laugh3:

BrettM said:
unless it's from an isuzu or corvette :laugh3:

nope even those will work if you get the entire set. the only difference is the vette and zuzu. use a 4:10 and with thick lower gears and visa versa for taller gears. they will still fit and work in any housing

langer1 said:
Just got some pictures, Click to enlarge.

hell that aint too bad, the ring gear looks good to me, the drift pin broke and let the spiders fall out...get a used carrier with spiders and pin. remove your old junk and put in the new spiders and pin from the other carrier...by the way you dont have any kind of locker in there.

matter of fact I got the needed parts here. a good used carrier to pull the stuff out of. 30.00 shipped an its yours

Last edited:
xjnation said:
hell that aint too bad, the ring gear looks good to me, the drift pin broke and let the spiders fall out...get a used carrier with spiders and pin. remove your old junk and put in the new spiders and pin from the other carrier...by the way you dont have any kind of locker in there.

matter of fact I got the needed parts here. a good used carrier to pull the stuff out of. 30.00 shipped an its yours
correct, that's not a locker.

either just get some D44 spider gears and cross pin and replace it, or take it as a good opportunity to throw in a lunchbox locker.

BrettM said:

either just get some D44 spider gears and cross pin and replace it, or take it as a good opportunity to throw in a lunchbox locker.

good call BrettM PBB vender forum has aussie lockers for 199.00 new shipped

BrettM said:

That pin sticking out got most of the pinion. It is a locker track lock or something.
You can't see it but there are dogs and springs inside.

Back