• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is it worth it?

dblb48

NAXJA Forum User
I can buy a 1989 xj, 4.0 L I 6. for $800 obo, but it has 212,000 miles. On the plus side the motor was porfessionally(he said) rebuilt, along w/ the tranny. He said he has never had a problem(dont know if thats good or bad) Just tell me your thoughts. Thank you. Oh ya, the driver side fender is dented from a deer hit, anyone know how to repair it w/out taking it to a body shop.

dblb48 said:
I can buy a 1989 xj, 4.0 L I 6. for $800 obo, but it has 212,000 miles. On the plus side the motor was porfessionally(he said) rebuilt, along w/ the tranny. He said he has never had a problem(dont know if thats good or bad) Just tell me your thoughts. Thank you. Oh ya, the driver side fender is dented from a deer hit, anyone know how to repair it w/out taking it to a body shop.
He should have the paper work on that rebuild then.

Fender can be had around here for about $35 at the local u-pic so wouldn't worry about it. Definitely as said above check the engine. If he did it himself as that is what he does for a living, I'd ask for papers on it to protect yourself.

Just got given to me a '89 Laredo 5spd for $450CD Engine is all original at 278000km and sounds like it's almost niew [although has the typical valve cover leak]

Unless you know the history of the vehicle, I'd do a check on the VIN etc to make sure there's no huge problems you're getting into. Get a hold of any and all paperwork he has on it.

dblb48 said:

The fenders are easy. there are 2 nuts under the side marker light that need to be removed, a bout 6 bolts on top of the fender in the engine compartment one behind the door about midway on the fender and 2 under at the pinch seam, also the last is oen nut center inside of the wheel well under the fenderwell liner. not too bad to replace and you can get em new on ebay for around 45.00 shipped.

800 for that rig is not a bad price, many xj's will go 300,000 miles without any problems in the drivetrain. what model is it?

laredo? limited? etc.

Honestly... if it runs & drives good, not rotted to scrap, and has what it takes to pass the state inspection (if a driver is what your after) sure it's worth $800... Deficiencies away from those key areas need weighed into the selling price and/or your tolerance for being nickled & dimed for rehab items.

Back