• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am sick and tired of this!!!

saltilloxj

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been covered a lot and I have discussed it and searched it. But I am really tired of this clunk sound when I am driving slowly in sharp turns. I get a loud clunk from the front right (pass) wheel. I went through and tightened everything up. I can see no visible movement when turning the wheels. I thought it might be a bad wheel bearing so I replaced it, the bearing was bad but the clunk is still there. Track bar, tight. Steering box, tight. Shocks, tight. Springs, fine. Sway bar, out of the way and tight. Before I go tearing into the ball joints any ideas?
Oh yeah 90' 4.0 AW4 NP235 220,000 miles and I still love it!

hasta

Is it a one time clunk as you turn the wheel or is a multiple clunk as your driving?

one time clunk: check the tie rod ends, and remember that unibody vehicles will sometimes transfer the sound and make it sound like it's someplace else so check both sides. lastly check the ball joints

Multiple clunk: check the U-joint, usually this reguires removing the joint but then you might as well replace it. you can also pull the axle out and drive a while too, this will eliminate anything in the drivetrain as the culprit. however don't this very long as the internals are open and will not hold oil.

Good luck.

Dingo

Try tightening your transmission cross member bolts. I had a loud POP when I was in a reverse turn (backing out of parking spaces). Turns out the X member was loose.

Good luck.

Mine did that for months. I know what your going through. Mine turned out to be a loose upper control arm mounting bolt to the axle. Cranked on it and no more clunk. Hope this helps

i had a cluck from the front end too..it ended up being my starter figured it out when i pulled into the driveway and the lower starter bolt was laying on the ground(glad i only went around the block)..tightened it down and away went my clunk....good luck....
Maier

My money goes to the noise being caused by the Tie Rod end that goes from the draglink to the Pitman Arm. Have a buddy turn the steering wheel from side-to-side while you look at all the steering components. You should be able to both hear and see the part(s) causing the problem. If you need the part# for the Tie Rod end let me know. I think it is the same as on my 89 XJ and I have the part# somewhere. Good Luck!

Thanks for all the help. I recently repalced the motor mounts and trans mounts everything is tight and I will check the cross member. I am not sure how to answer the multiple or single clunk, I want to say single because you will here it once and then drive for a while and turn sharp like into a parking space again and it will do it again. But I can't get it to repeat quickly. The other problem is that even though you can clearly hear the problem you can't see anything loose or move or shift. But I am still thinking about the tie rod end. Any other ideas would be great or any other things to check I would appreciate it.

Be sure to check the bracket holding the upper end of the track bar. I had a similar problem and was frustrated because the track bar was tight, but I found out that bracket had come loose and was making noise. Some people even weld that bracket to the "frame".

cjohnson said:
Be sure to check the bracket holding the upper end of the track bar. I had a similar problem and was frustrated because the track bar was tight, but I found out that bracket had come loose and was making noise.

X2 That was my problem.

X3 on the trackbar mount. the mount will flex slightly and allow the horizontal bottom portion to slide back and forth banging on the bolts. Get it tight. Use a big breaker bar and a cheater. The other alternative is to put a few welds to the frame.

Quick diagnosis. Go to an empty parking lot. Drive slowly and take different combinations of sharp rights and lefts. If you will only get a clunk on the first of several rights or lefts, and on every turn of alternating rights and lefts, it is most likely a trackbar mount issue.

I checked the upper mount for the track bar and with a socket wrench tried to see if there was anything but nothing would move. Now that doesn´t mean with a breaker bar it might not move. What about the rubber bushing on the lower part of the track bar? I will try the test again today after work. I was wondering if it could be related to the steering drop arm mine seems to look like it has sliped down a little at least I can see some of the teeth or is that normal? I have 4¨ lift and the stock part...

saltilloxj said:
I checked the upper mount for the track bar and with a socket wrench tried to see if there was anything but nothing would move. Now that doesn´t mean with a breaker bar it might not move. What about the rubber bushing on the lower part of the track bar? I will try the test again today after work. I was wondering if it could be related to the steering drop arm mine seems to look like it has sliped down a little at least I can see some of the teeth or is that normal? I have 4¨ lift and the stock part...

Take off the track bar to see if the noise is gone.

The pitman arm should be REALLY tight on the splines. If you take it off and it comes off easily you've got a problem.

Does anyone have a pic of their drop pitman on a lifted jeep I just want to make sure mine looks right. I will take the track bar off tomarrow to see if the sound is gone.

cracker said:
Take off the track bar to see if the noise is gone.

How is that gonna work, can't drive it or even turn the wheels while stopped without the track bar, will just shove the axle to the side :confused:

As others have noted, my track bar bracket at the "frame" also gets loose. No matter tight it is, still moves to some extent. I will probably weld mine soon. And by the way, mine has had that clunk for 4 years now :)

You have had that clunk for 4 years. Is this really that hard to figure out? I am going to get under this thing and start pulling things apart. I don't think that its the track bar frame mount I belive its a track bar bushing thing or a drop pitman bushing / tight thing... I am starting to belive that every xj owner should also be a welder owner.

Well, it's far from stock these days and hasn't seemed to be a problem, so yeah.. I quit looking. Since I have RE first generation swaybar discos, the noise from those cover it up anyhow.. :D

Back