• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Rails

96xjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
A question for all. I really like Rocky Road's "step rail" rocker rails, but rather than a 2" rail just sits out a little further I would prefer a 4" rail. Does anyone make them for generly the same price as the RR ones? I am totally concerned with quality, I want the protection, then looks, I want them to look good, and finally price, I am looking at the $250-$300 range. Any Ideas?

TOMKEN has 4" wide rails. Not as beefy. I thing once you get to a 3/16" thickness the extra weight becomes on issue. Also take a looks at kevins sliderZ www.kevinsoffroad.com

I question the wisdom of your seeming disregard for Rocker rails on an XJ Ted.......LOL I have had MANY instances of "BAM!!!!...... oh wait that was just the rock rails" that resulted in NO damage

Rocky Road

I've got Rocky Road rails and have beat the shit out of them and they've held up great. A little sanding and touchup painting and there good as new. If you're looking for a step though I agree with pappbear, take a look at Kevin's. He's a great guy to deal with. I've gotten a few things form him and he's got great prices too.

Another vote for AJ's rails

A fellow XJ'er with great prices, quality, and service.

You can talk to him about building a set of custom rails for you. I have a set of his rails and couldn't be happier.

He's centrally located, so shipping won't kill you too. (Iowa)

HTH,

John

Last edited:
They're really pretty easy to build yourself...

I did it with 10' of 2x4... 10' of 1x1, 5' of 1-1/2x1-1/2 and some 3" angle... toss in hardware.. about $70...

Rock2.jpg

This was one of the very first things I made... would do it differently now...

The 1x1 goes down the pinch seam on the rocker... held on with a dozen 1/4" self tappers... the 1-1/2x1-1/2 goes under the 1x1 and holds on the rocker... I ran this out on the 2x4, and it might snag on rocks.. hasn't yet, but could...

Rear1.jpg

I haven't been paying attention and have come down HARD on them... just wiped off the paint...

I looked at the Tomken 4" exactly what I want in size! So will the 1/8 as oppose to 3/16 make an enormous difference in strenth. I wont be slamming them on rocks but if I happen to scrape a rock I want protection. Also I looked at Kevin's I like them also except neither of the two look like they bolt to the pinch seam. Do they and I just not see it? If they do not bolt to the pinch seam how drasticly will this effect the strenth, pushing up on them as well as standing on them? I really like the price of Kevin's. And finally AJ's web site doesn't post prices? can they custom make 2x4 sliders, for about what price, and how it thier strenth, do they bolt to the pinch seam? Again I am looking for a step into the truck, onto the roof rack, and protection.

Tomkens..............well............

Tomkens have an annoying tendency of focusing all of the load on the two pinch seam tabs, which are 3" wide, at least mine were. They do more harm than good. Get a rail that mounts along the length of the pinch seam like my Rocky Roads. They can take a pounding.

31.JPG

My CRSU weld on Rails are insanely beefy...2x4 with 3 1" Square tube outriggers welded on....

46.JPG

What ever you do DONT BUY daysar "not so real steel" rocker gaurds, big POS, I had to re enforce them with 1"x1" and do a lot of welding to make them work. I thought I got a great deal when I bought them......Just gos to show "you get what ya pay for"

96xjeeper said:
I looked at the Tomken 4" exactly what I want in size! So will the 1/8 as oppose to 3/16 make an enormous difference in strenth. I wont be slamming them on rocks but if I happen to scrape a rock I want protection. Also I looked at Kevin's I like them also except neither of the two look like they bolt to the pinch seam. Do they and I just not see it? If they do not bolt to the pinch seam how drasticly will this effect the strenth, pushing up on them as well as standing on them? I really like the price of Kevin's. And finally AJ's web site doesn't post prices? can they custom make 2x4 sliders, for about what price, and how it thier strenth, do they bolt to the pinch seam? Again I am looking for a step into the truck, onto the roof rack, and protection.

How close did you look at AJ's site?

I'll point you to the specific page: http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.com/RockRails/

There is pricing there that will give you a basic idea. If you want something custom, he will do it guaranteed, however the price will fluctuate on the givin' design. That is the main reason he doesn't post specific prices. There are mounting pics in there as well, at the very bottom is the current mounting design.

I built my rails myself, but his Super rails are pretty much identical to mine. All his rails bolt onto the pinch seam.

rails.jpg

There are also several more pictures on his website, I know because I put them there ;)

I'm runnin' the Tomken 2"x4" and love them. They've handled the Rubicon, Fordyce and Barrett Lake trails with only scratches.

Back