• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D30 wheel bearing replacement - hubs?

mhead

NAXJA Forum User
I've a '92XJ 4X4 I-6 Autotranny. It just turned 200000 mi. I'd like to replace the front wheel bearings.

What is best... replace the entire hub or try to open it and simply replace the internal bearings?

Any good sources for parts other than NAPA or Autozone? Cost?

Thanks!

replace the hubs, you can have a shop press in the new bearings but you have to beat the daylights out of the hub to get it off the axle and usually you damage them, expect to soak the entire unit with PB Blaster, cost should be around a hundred bucks per side, it will run much quieter also, you will need a 36mm socket for the hub nut, loosen it while the brakes are still attached, and you will also need a 12 point 13mm socket for the 3 bolts holding on the hubshasta

the hubs are quite expensive but i would just replace the entire hub units, mine came offpritty easy, i used a lot of liquid wrench on the three monting bolts and between the steering nuckle and hub, any penitrating oil will work but i think liquid wrench works the best. A little tap with a BFH and off they went, and the new hubs run much more quiet and smoother.

p.s on mine the three mounting bolts were a 12 pt 1/2" and 13mm is a little bigger than 1/2 so i would try 1/2 first because if you strip those you are screwed, and they are on VERRY tight.

9rke15.gif

make sure to use lots of this on the three bolts on the back holding the hubs on... good luck

From what I've read, only the pre-90 units can be rebuilt and it takes a 50 ton press.

Fred

Ok, thanks! So I'm buying new hub assemblies. Called around and can find prices ranging from $130 for Chineese all the way up to Napa's $216 (and these are EACH). Didn't even try the dealer of course.

Seems like a lot for a simple bearing. Anyone know a www site I might purchase from?

Thanks again!

Mike

I just bought a pair on Ebay (TWO hub/bearing assemblies) for $169 which included shipping. Ordered on a Friday & received them on Monday. They're Timken which looks like a good company from what I've read.
The cheapest I could find locally was $137 for ONE, so I think I did okay. Search out Ebay.
regards,
jlex.

Thanks jlex. Hunted on Ebay but there's a lot to sift through. Can you provide a little more info? The name of the seller would be nice. It would be very re-assuring to know that I'm dealing with the same source as you've had good experience with.

Thanks!

Is it common for the driver's side bearing to die randomly? I just had both replaced within the last year and just had to have the driver's side replaced again this morning. There was a whole bunch of noise comin out of it and it had lots of play in it.

mhead said:
Thanks jlex. Hunted on Ebay but there's a lot to sift through. Can you provide a little more info? The name of the seller would be nice. It would be very re-assuring to know that I'm dealing with the same source as you've had good experience with.

Thanks!

The seller was shlomik18. 99.3% positive feedback w/ 269 transactions. Do a search for him, or see if you can get an email address from his profile & see if he's got more... probably has a ton he'd like to move. Good luck
jlex.

mhead said:

Thanks!

His email address is [email protected]
The part # I got was HUB513084.
I do believe your car uses the same hub, but check with him to make sure.
I paid thru Paypal which is probably why I received them so fast. His looks like a pretty professional operation (out of Houston, TX). Good luck
jlex.

Found him on Ebay. Had to do an advanced search for seller shlomik18. He lists the hub you purchsed, HUB513084, showing an absolutely huge range of application across many Jeep models and years. I've written him to ask specifically if the hub will fit my 1992 4x4 with the stock D30 in the front. Will keep you posted as to what I hear back.

I'm kinda scared since there are other posts at NAXJA that seem to indicate in my year there are multiple hub possibilities.

Last edited:
He does list a lot of applications. I was a bit concerned about getting the right part too, but after checking a few other sites on line, and finding they use the same number, I feel confident they're the right ones. I'm replacing mine tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes.
regards,
jlex.

The bearing replacement took only about 3hrs & went very well. The part is good & is identical to the original.
Just a few tips:
the axle nut is difficult to remove; I used an impact wrench after first giving it a shot with a 1/2" breaker bar. Even the impact wrench labored.
Don't bother with a conventional wrench on the hub bolts: use a 13mm (& 1/2" if necessary) 12 point socket on a 3/8" breaker bar to loosen the bolts. A 6 point socket won't work. Use PB blaster on the head & on the tip of the bolts after wire brushing the rust off prior to loosening.
When all bolts are off, put the tire on with loosely applied lug nuts & use it as a puller to yank off the actual hub.
Should put the car in 4 wheel drive & leave the passenger side tire on the ground to keep your wheel from turning.
Get a 3" cotter pin to replace the used one before starting.
Make sure you put the dust shield on the right way before reattaching everything... it comes off all of a sudden with the hub & you can't tell, except by looking at the other wheel, just how it goes back on... don't ask me how I know.
No big deal... is a good Saturday morning project.
regards,
jlex.

jlex said:
He does list a lot of applications. I was a bit concerned about getting the right part too, but after checking a few other sites on line, and finding they use the same number, I feel confident they're the right ones. I'm replacing mine tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it goes.
regards,
jlex.

Glad to hear that you got the right parts. Because I just ordered up a pair from the same guy after discovering a bad hub assembly over the weekend.

I was a bit hesitant to order these. But it seems he has very favorable feedback. The reason I was hesitant was his application chart. Among others, he listed the following vehicles.

1997-2002 CJ5
1997-2002 CJ7
1997-2002 CJ8
1990-1995 CJ5
1990-1995 CJ7
1990-1995 CJ8
1994-1998 J10
1994-1998 Grand Wagoneer
1990-1998 Comanche

So I am keeping my fingers crossed that I receive the right parts. I know I took a chance. We'll see...

Back