• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another small electric issue with FarmerMatt lights...

Double Down

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

Just put in the light's Matt sent me for my 97 XJ and they look and work great, except one thing. I bought the regular bulbs and when I took off my stock lights I only had 3 sets of wires, stop, backup, and turn, but on his lights I had 2 sets of wires for turns so I just soldered them all together (meaning all the turns). Everything works great except the blinkers blink pretty fast and the weirdest thing is now, when I press on my brake and my headlights are off, the odometer and my overhead console disappear. When I let off my brake, it comes back. Any ideas?

With my stock setup, the stop wires went to the stock plug with the wiring reading "major, minor, ground". The ground I figured out ;) but the major and minor, wasn't exactly sure that was so I hooked up the white wire on his bulbs to the "major" wire on the stock config. Like I said, everything works fine except the two things I mentioned above.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas. I just PM'd Matt, but was wondering if any of you had ideas first.

Thanks,

Chris
Cincinnati, OH

On the blink rate, you need to replace the stock flasher module with a StridonStant EP27 unit. <$15 at most auto parts stores.

Dunno about the other one. On my '95 all the wires matched up one-to-one.

Double Down said:
With my stock setup, the stop wires went to the stock plug with the wiring reading "major, minor, ground". The ground I figured out ;) but the major and minor, wasn't exactly sure that was so I hooked up the white wire on his bulbs to the "major" wire on the stock config.
I think the major and minor refer to the 2 filaments inside those stop light bulbs. The minor is the dim parking light and the major is the bright brake light.

Double Down said:
when I took off my stock lights I only had 3 sets of wires, stop, backup, and turn, but on his lights I had 2 sets of wires for turns so I just soldered them all together (meaning all the turns).
on the 97 you should have had the following sets:
1. ground + signal for backup
2. ground + signal for turn
3. ground + signal for running lights + signal for brake lights.
So I think you got htem mismatched and soldered them wrong causing a short in the system. Also you can't combine two light signals without using a diode to prevent backeeding the line with voltage when one or the other gets voltage.

Back