• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Draining fuel

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
Well, a little background. I picked up a 1990 base model XJ (4.0 L auto) yesterday. I got a good deal on it ($1100) and I think the only thing it needs to get running fine is to clear out the old fuel that has been in there (1/2 tank) for the better part of a full year!

Now, for the questions:

1. Is this fuel system under pressure, or can I just pop off the fuel filter with no repercussions?

2. It was suggested that I use the fuel pump to pump out the old fuel rather than just syphon it. To do this, do I simply unhook the fuel line at the fuel filter and let it shoot into a 5 gallon bucket? How do I get the fuel pump to run? Do I need to just try to turn the truck over, or just keep flipping the key to the aux setting?

3. It was also suggested to me that unless I KNOW the fuel pump is bad, to just let it be. If the pump is still good, I drain the tank, replace the fuel filter, put some fuel system cleaner in it, and fill the tank with clean fuel, I should be good to go after a few minutes of flushing the old stuff out of the lines, correct?

If there is a write up or I am missing something with this procedure, please speak up. The fuel system isn't really something to experiment with and I would prefer not to burn down my garage.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

you could just take out the schrader valve at the fuel rail put a piece of rubber hose over it and jump the fuel pump relay. however you do it from the filter or the rail either way will be fine.

Dirt714,

Could you be more specific? I don't know what a Schrader valve is.

When you say "jump the relay," do you mean jump over it, like skip it, or jump it like jumping a battery?

Sorry to be so picky, but I just want to make this happen correctly.

Thanks

Back