• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ info needed before buying

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I and interested in buying an MJ
do you guys know of anything i should look for, ?
whats good? whats bad? years, problems etc>
any info would be helpful.

would like to get the best year/packaged one i can find.

I would look for the 4.0 without a doubt. Runs strong reliable durable. I have had two of these. My first MJ was an 87 with a 4.0 french 5 speed 4x4. I bought it wrecked for 400 bucks plus it came with an 86 longbox parts donor. It was an awesome little truck, wheeled it for a year and half. Forced to sell for money reasons but, the guy who has it now still wheels it. Now I have a 91 4.0 H.O. AX15 4x4 Eliminator I love this MJ. I have lifted it 5.5 inchs and did a spring over in the rear. Rolling on 33's and its a blast to drive. I swapped out the dana 30 disco front for a non disco and swapped out the weakest link. I ditched the dana 35 rear for a 8.25. Out of a 99 so it has the 29 spline axles.
As far as any problems. I would look for a 91 or 92. 4.0 stick or auto my preference is 4x4 and shortbed. If you plan on wheeling it be ready to ditch the dana 35. 87-90 are good to but I dont care for the renix computer in them. Plus it seems the HO is easier to work on and with. IMHO all MJs are good but the ones equipped with the 4.0 are the best. Enjoy it.

wow! thanks, that was just the info, and knowledge on mj's, i was lookin for
from experienced mj owners
really appreciate it!
and I will start looking for my Mj now!
thanks

Rust is a common problem. Check the floorboards and above the rear fender flares. Just about every other issue is the same as an XJs.
If you want a project, get a 2wd and swap all the goodies of your choice into it. That's what I did! :D If you stick with Jeep stuff it's bolt-on.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

I'm on my second MJ and they are great trucks but my 88 had the french trans and I was on my 3rd one when the truck was totaled at 140,000 so I would look for one without that peice; all the other transmissions that came with the 4.0 are reliable. 90-92 are best.

I'm on my 4th MJ (still have the first one! It was a fuel injected 4 cyl 4 speed 2wd we converted to 4x4 and then drove to Ouray, Moab and Wyoming 4 wheeling with no major probs except the 4x4 shifter and realignment due to delivery truck backing into it)
Stay away from the 2.8L V6 unless you plan on motor upgrading right away (2.8 or 3.1L with EFI from later Chevs makes a good upgrade that practically bolts in). Gearing on the 4.0L rigs isn't so great (for bigger tires. Usually 3.07 or 3.54) but the 4 cyl rigs run lower gearing (3.73, 4.10 or sometimes 4.56)
My current 87 ex 2wd shortbox is lifted (SOA rear and 5 1/2" front) on 33" tires (255/85/16 on early ZJ alloys) with canopy. 4.0L is great for power and economy is about the same as the previous 4 cyl. Had 2 that became dune buggies and another starting to be built up and lifted (have 42" tires for it and long arms to go in. It's my son's rig to mess with)

Back