• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drill bit & tap size for sye?

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
I aquired an extra np231 transfer case with a sye on it when I bought my xj. I was going to just swap transfer cases but the one I aquired has a 23 spline count input and mine has a 21 spline count.

So, I removed the sye from the spare TC and cut the shaft on my original. I have the hole drilled out to 5/16. I think it needs to be a bit bigger, but I do not want to drill any further until I find out what size the hole should be. Also, what size tap should be used? Does it matter? Can I just drill it to the size hole I want and tap it for any standard bolt? :dunno:

BTW, I searched and :read: for this info but it is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack.

swap main shafts from the transfer cases?

use the already tapped one?

no fear.
the hole is supposed to be 21/64th's ( 21/64 , for searching purposes)

Im sure you could drill bigger without any probs, just need a different tap other than what comes with REs kit. 21/64 is a bitch of a drill bit to find in stores.

21/64 is just a hair bigger than 5/16, but its enough material to remove so that the tapping goes smoothly.

hope that helps ya out a bit

Thanks guys. I would swap the main shaft but who ever cut the main shaft on the spare TC cut it short and crooked. They also drilled and tapped the hole crooked.

Last edited:
The Ace - True Value in my area has all the goofy sized bits in their tap section with the taps they go to. Just for reference... Also, I've found using a 1/4" or 3/8" drive impact to cut the threads works well without too much effort.

Last edited:
Back