• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end or ujoint?

ROBZ95Xj

NAXJA Forum User
I was coming back from the junk yard today when i herd a clackin noise coming from the rear of my jeep, so i pulled over to check it out but my ujoint seem fine, no whenever i let off the gas i hear a deep humm and every once in a while a clackin noise, it only dose it when i let off the throttle. Im considering getting ujoints tommorow.

Forgot to add, its a Dana 44 rear and has a 2 inch lift

Lift up the axle onto jackstands, put the tcase in N and spin the shaft by hand and see if you can hear the sound (don't forget to secure the front wheels!!)

ill try that tommorow, i may even pull the diff cover.

did you check u-joints with tranny in neutral... if you leave it in park they will seem tight... dont forget to chock the wheels..

yes my jeep was in netral when i checked the ujoints and the diff is full of fluid, like i said it only makes the noises when im not on the throttle and coasting, it makes no noise once i put my foot back on the gas

My exsaust is clearing everytthing, and im gonna be getting ujoints tomorrow from the local 4x4 shop.

ok i know this is an old thread but i thought id give you guys an update, i pulled the diff cover off 2 weeks ago and found out that the center pin came loose and that was what was making the clunking noise, the humming noise came from the pinion being badly chipped

Back