• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Issue...ideas anyone?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, the A/C on my '01 is now blowing out warm air in all cooling positions. The compressor comes on, but it cycles on and off a lot. The radiator fans work fine, or at least they seem to. I purchased one of those "fill it yourself" R-134a kits from the local parts store, but when I hooked it up, it said the pressure in the system was too high. It was kind of weird though. When the compressor was running, the pressure was just right, but when the compressor would cut off, the pressure in the system would go way up.

Anyone have an idea as to what is wrong?

What is "too high"? The outside air temp effects what the pressure will be?

Too high charge can make the high side pressure switch cycles just like the low side pressure switch!

If it is too high, you should have it excess recycled by a Air Cond tech. He will have a gauge set to check both the high and low side and will beable to check it out.

Those cheap kits suck. i would say your prolly low on freon. Take it somewhere and have it sucked down measure whaat you have left. Fill it back to the proper amount.
When a system is low it will cycle rapidly like it sounds yours is doing. The system doesn't know to do to. It has low pressure so it kicks in the compressor. Then the high pressure rises rapidly causing the high pressure switch to shut it off. Take it to someone and have it done properly. Plus if you overfill an R134 system it no longer cools and actually warms up.

I just posted on another thread but had similar issue w/ my 2000. It works wonderful now...

Had my brothers shop drain/refill the system.. Machine also did a pressure test to make sure there were no leaks..

good luck

The shop I work at charges 35 to hook up the machine and 40 bucks a pound for R134a. Prolly cost you in the end 100-150 would be a good estimate

They said my system was really low, so they took out all the old, and filled it back up. They did a leak check with that dye stuff, but didn't find anything. Is it normal for a system to just go low after a while?

Dont know if the stuff goes away, but I do know that alot of use wil obviously use it up. If you bought yours used, the previous owner may have ran the a/c alot. And IIRC, the compressor on the XJ's hold only 1.25lbs of freon, which isn't much.

Hey just noticed you're in winston-salem, where abouts?

If you have to add refrigerant to any automotive A/C system there is a leak in the system. May be very small and take months to leak down to a noticable point. Vehicles are prone to leaks due to vibration and other situations. Refrigerant doesn't get used up etc.

HTH

azdesertrhino said:
If you have to add refrigerant to any automotive A/C system there is a leak in the system. May be very small and take months to leak down to a noticable point. Vehicles are prone to leaks due to vibration and other situations. Refrigerant doesn't get used up etc.

HTH
x2

99XJSPORT06 said:
If you bought yours used, the previous owner may have ran the a/c alot.
It's actually better to use the a/c too much as apposed to very rarely. The seals on the compressor dry up if it isn't used for long periods of time and will fail causing leaks.

K

corbinafly said:
It's actually better to use the a/c too much as apposed to very rarely. The seals on the compressor dry up if it isn't used for long periods of time and will fail causing leaks.

K

Interesting, learn something new every day!

Cool. used to go to bowman-gray alot with my old man to watch the races and especially the demo derby's on weekends....but then I got a job...LOL.

Back