• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changed rear main, bad oil leak???????

94xjkyle

NAXJA Forum User
i changed my rear main today and at the same time i did an oil pan gasket, and now there is a pritty bad leak from the rear main, not quite as bad as it was befor i changed it. is it normal for it to leak some? if so how much? and how long does it leak for?

Sounds like the O-ring for the oil filter adapter is leaking. You can get it from Jeep, or at NAPA on the HELP! section "tree" (yes, I work for NAPA, but don' get a kickback for this) There is a multipack of the o-rings and it's the orange one.

Did you line up the two pieces with the cap? Did you use the right sealent on them? I think it takes the red locktite gasket maker. Lastly, are you sure it is not leaking out around the rear of the oil pan gasket that surrounds the rear main? I know this portion, and the front as well, can be a little tricky to seal up. That is where I would start.
BSD

I had to do the rear main seal on our 90 XJ not long back. Not sure if it is the same as the 94 but I found that the two sections have to go it in a specific direction so the oil pressure causes the seal to "spread" when the pressure is against it. I used the one piece pan gasket and used red permatex where recommended. I found a lot of good information by searching the NAXJA tech forum. I haven't had any leaks since but no amount of skill will beat dumb luck. Do a quick search and you'll find a lot of information about it.

HTH,

It took a few tries to get mine right. Make sure you add plenty of sealer where you're supposed to and let the whole thing sit overnight to cure.
Jeep on!
--Pete

ComancheClub.com

thanks for the help guys, i re did everything today, it took about 3 hours to do the job over again so i made shure to use plenty of rtv silicone on just about everything and there are no leaks, thanks again for the help

Back