• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

last year cherokees??

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to someday find a stock unmolested late model Cherokee in cherry shape, for a DD and family wagon. My 95 is to used to fit the bill and like a dumb azz I trashed the A/C. anything one should look out for in particular? are the 98+ renix and is that a bad thing??
Thank You.

87-90? are Renix, the rest are Chrysler FI. The 99+ are nice due to the redesigned intake manifold for more flow, but if it is a family truckster then find one you like almost any year cherokee excells at a DD/family wagon.

2001 was the final production year for the XJ. I wish they'd bring it back. I can't stand the new stuff.
I think that 99 and up had some head cracking problems. Or at least it was one of of those final years that did.
I have a 98. Love it. Hate the gas mileage. I baby the hell out of it. Its always washed up and the fluids are always fresh. Some guys think that keeping it in the mud is the only way to go. Its all up to you.
As for me, I like to keep the resale value as high as I can.

I have a '98 too. I like the fuel economy...my other vehicle is a gas guzzeling F-150. The Cherokee was a vast improvement in monthly fuel expendatures.
Of course, when I go from XJ to F-150, I feel like I'm driving around in a super tanker.
I can't figure out why they stopped producing the XJ. It's an outstanding vehicle and the newer "things" like the Liberty are inferior. And who decided on the new Grand Cherokee design? The same idiot that worked on the box on wheels Escalaid? Dayum, what an UGULY car!

bustednutz said:
2001 was the final production year for the XJ. I wish they'd bring it back. I can't stand the new stuff.
I think that 99 and up had some head cracking problems. Or at least it was one of of those final years that did.
What is this "head cracking" that you speak of? I have had mine for over 6 years (I bought it right off the transport truck with 3.7 miles on it). NEVER had a problem. Head cracking? I'm a tall guy and the only Head cracking was climbing in before I lifted it.

IF you do a search in this forum there are some threads where the newer body XJ's had some head crack issues. Its all dependent on the head stamping. And the time it was done. Not ALL are bad. But I believe there were a select bunch that went bad. I think the head code for the bad ones was 0991, or something like that. Don't hold me to it. Thats all I can recall of any codes.
Apparently you could open the oil filler cap and see the crack in that vicinity.

I think the heads cracked by the number 3 cylinder. It was a specific group of heads.

I too like the Cherokee over all models. Actually you can buy a new one if you go to China to get it. Beijing still makes em with only minor grill changes. You'll have that fine Chinese quality too!! :wierd:

The Diesel 3.7 in the Liberty's has potential. Now if we only had more lift and mod options for KJ's!!!

My 93 has seen it's final owner. I'll replace whatever needs replacing until the unibody is too trashed to hold things in place. I have too much money and sweat in it not to!

I would like a NEW Red or Yellow Rubi Unlimited with 33's though!!

Last edited:
I've got a 99 that I bought in Jan. of this year. Replaced the valve cover gasket, recharged the a/c, and bought new tires. I'm a broke H.S. student so it's probably gonna stay stock. Other than that i've driven the crap out of it (62K when bought, almost 70K now) with no major problems. It does need a tune up and the t-case seals need to be changed (again) and I hope to get to that before I go back to school at the end of August.

And just to clarify, the KJ diesel is a 2.5L Turbo Diesel, not a 3.7. The 3.7 is the regular ole gas engine, and from my experiences (mom has a KJ) it's prooven to be pretty damn tough. But thats just my experiences.

Thanks everyone, I am on my 3rd now but its getting tired. Most all the low mileage ones ive seen are the last couple years of production. I agree with why did they stop producting? Im a diesel fan, but the liberty is pretty small and car like. I will never say otherwise than the cherokee was one of the best autos America has ever produced. I to despise the new Grands, they look like everything else, I was sitting in traffic the other day and one was by me. I swear it had less rocker to ground clearance than the most of the cars around it, specially if you put them nerf on it. soccer mom car(no offence moms) a unlimited would be cool, but i hear they get terrible mileage 12/14. Poo, my 95 gets 20 or so on the road. That will play a big part in what I end up with as I have a 80 mile a day commute. Maybe by then they will have a diesel unlimited.

Maybe to change the thread a bit, what about the best year for the XJ? I know it is highly subjective. How about a mid 90's? I do not know if it is heresay, but I was under the impression that Chrysler dropped teh Nickel content of their blocks in the mid-90's. Higher nickel means the metal wears longer? Also, had they not shifted to R-134 by mid 94? Lastly, I think they had done away with the vacumn hose orgy that are on the late 80's XJ's. I assume that you can get a AW4 transmission for those years. ANy toughts?
BSD

I have been thinking about this a lot lately. From my understanding the early renix engines are the ones with the higher nickle content. The 99 has the better intake the 91-95 have the best heads, Air bags were introduce in 94?95? R134 was started in 1994? 97+ have the better u-joints although they can be found on earlier ones. 00/01 have low pinion D30 which is less desireable. Help me decide too. I think I will avoid the last two years since the head issue and the low pinion.

BSD said:
Maybe to change the thread a bit, what about the best year for the XJ? I know it is highly subjective. How about a mid 90's? I do not know if it is heresay, but I was under the impression that Chrysler dropped teh Nickel content of their blocks in the mid-90's. Higher nickel means the metal wears longer? Also, had they not shifted to R-134 by mid 94? Lastly, I think they had done away with the vacumn hose orgy that are on the late 80's XJ's. I assume that you can get a AW4 transmission for those years. ANy toughts?
BSD

Like I said earlier, I love my 99. I checked today and I do not have the 0331 head, i've got the 0630 head and I also have a late build date for 99 (September of 99 and its still classified as a 99 model year).

Some things to watch out for on the 97+ years are the turn signal switch. Had this happen the SAME day I bought mine (i was not a happy camper). It will cause your hazards to come on in the rear only intermittently. Also, the 97+ dont like left turns very much when you've got a quarter tank or less of gas in it. There was a recall on I believe it was the sender unit for the 97's...RichP can tell you more about that cause he's got a 98 and is pissed that he's got the same problem and wasn't recalled....mine does as well. They got recalled for the guage reading something like a quarter tank left and you actually are empty and you run out. But on mine it seems to be the opposite. i've driven it with the needle resting on the stopper at E, light on, and still had about 3 gallons left, and when I go to fill up, the needle goes way past the F mark.

Just some minor quirks, all part of having a Jeep I guess.

94-95-96 are great in my opinion. Of course, I have one so yeah...highly subject to personal bs. Yeah, those years have driver airbag, R-134a if youre wondering, the 4.0 HO (a later intake can be swapped on) and usually Chry. 8 1/4 chrysler rear axle w/ the D30 front. Every automatic 4.0 XJ ever built has the AW4 right (mines standard ax15)??? 95 heads ran on early 96s I believe. By this time, D-C eliminated exhaust recirculation, so thats cool and electronics replaced vacuum hoses. 97+ seem more modern to me, that was the big redesign. The BIG problem I have w/ the later years (other than the head issues, most of which would probably have revealed themselves by now, right?) is that they deleted the fuel filter. An in tank, fibre "sock" pickup filter used instead. I have plugged the normal fuel filter in only 4000 miles, from Mexican gas. Then again, this country has poor quality fuel and contaminated station tanks in some remote areas. So if you are going to be exposing the xj to a lot of dust or this is a concern to you, I wouldn't get on of these models.

Edit: Oh, and does anyone know what size/brand wheels&tires come with new Grands? They look more Snoop-Dogg approved than trail rated.

Last edited:
I remember reading an article in Jp about which models they like, they were 87/88 with a dana 44 from the factory, 93 (the claim it is the last year before obdII, I thought 95 was) and lastly the 99due to HP, 760, 29spline 8¼. I know there are pros and cons to every year. For me living in the rust belt the prolem is finding ones that are rust free. Another thing I have noticed on the 97+ that they like to rust along the drip rail. Can anyone confirm that 95 is the last year of pre obdII?

Kurt

Boghog1 said:
I remember reading an article in Jp about which models they like, they were 87/88 with a dana 44 from the factory, 93 (the claim it is the last year before obdII, I thought 95 was) and lastly the 99due to HP, 760, 29spline 8¼. I know there are pros and cons to every year. For me living in the rust belt the prolem is finding ones that are rust free. Another thing I have noticed on the 97+ that they like to rust along the drip rail. Can anyone confirm that 95 is the last year of pre obdII?

Kurt

A 95 should connect to a universal OBD2 reader just fine. However, disconnecting the battery will clear codes, unlike newer (97?) models require a scanner. I have a jeep thats a real PITA to figure out, what year it is. Built mid-95, first sold in Jan. of 96, it has a lot of features that apply to both years. It has both connectors, an after-cat 02 sensor but clears codes w/ the battery, among other things. Its a JEEP thing I guess. 94 I have a feeling is OBD2 semicompliant but I don't think it has the catback sensor. It looks to me like OBD2 changes were implemeted gradually, not all at once, becoming fully compliant w/ OBD2 regulations by 97.Could someone confirm this? Edit...Rusting...sure glad I don't live in the salt belt, my front diff still has factory paint on the cover :D

Last edited:
I agree with baja on the computers, my fiance's is a 96, supposedly the first year with ODB2, But I know someone that used to have a 95 and a ODB2 code scanner would work on his but not give him all the info. The 96 was also the 1st year drivers side airbags were standard, I think. Not positive.
I believe 91 was the 1st year with the 4.0 High Output, correct? The coil for every 2 plugs design on 2000 and 01's looks cool. Does anybody know if it comes with a good increase in power/ reliabilty?

bajacalal said:
94-95-96 are great in my opinion. Of course, I have one so yeah...highly subject to personal bs. Yeah, those years have driver airbag, R-134a if youre wondering, the 4.0 HO (a later intake can be swapped on) and usually Chry. 8 1/4 chrysler rear axle w/ the D30 front. Every automatic 4.0 XJ ever built has the AW4 right (mines standard ax15)??? 95 heads ran on early 96s I believe. By this time, D-C eliminated exhaust recirculation, so thats cool and electronics replaced vacuum hoses. 97+ seem more modern to me, that was the big redesign.

You are thinking of the 95 and 96 years, not 94, 95, and 96. Although I hear some of the late 94s have 134A.

Personally, If I were looking at the older body style I'd get a '96 for the new, reinforced block, or a '99 since they have all the best features of the newer models.

If I had to do it all over again I would have spent a little more and got a '99.

Back