• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front wants to "shake" apart......only sometimes

BigIrish

NAXJA Forum User
Have a new problem with my XJ. Sometimes, maybe once every 30 miles and only when in excess of 50 MPH, my front end will shake violently side to side almost causing me to lose control. It does not sound like how "death wobble" is described as it is only sometimes and for a short time.

95 with a 4.0 4WD w/ front shaft removed. New Tie rod end on the pitman arm and pro mechanic said everything else looked good. New track bar. New alignment. 31x10 BFG AT with 25% tread left.

Too dangerous to drive and I am really trying not to tell the mechanic to keep throwing parts into it.

Any Ideas?

You said you have a new track bar but did you check the frame bracket as well? I had the same prob with my 89 and after changing the bar to no avail the bracket turned out to be worn and the replacement fixed the problem. From there I would move on to the balljoints. My.02Cdn.

Tires are from another truck of mine and they worked fine. The track bar bracket looked ok and did not appear to have any movement.

BigIrish said:
Tires are from another truck of mine and they worked fine. The track bar bracket looked ok and did not appear to have any movement.
If they were used and are now running a different direction it can cause shimmy if there now rotating a different direction.

The shake is not constant or even most of the time. it will just out of the blue when driving in a straight line when over 40 or 45 MPH will the front end shake side to side almost to the point of losing control.

You are describing the classic DW aka death wobble. It is invariably caused by a loose suspension component. It can be made worse by lack of castor or negative toe in, but if everything is tight, lack of castor and toe in just makes it skittish. Many alignment techs will just grab a joint and try to wiggle it, and if they can't move it, they call it good. If the joint is under tension, you simply can't always wiggle it. Rocking the wheel back and forth applies the forces in alternating directions, causing parts to move.

Finding the loose components is fairly easy, but impossible for one person by themselves. For it to oscillate, there has to be something that allows the movement to start. Place a friend in the vehicle and have them rock the wheel back and forth by slightly more than the play in the steering wheel. That normally means about 15 degrees. While they are doing that, climb under and carefully place your hand on each joint, letting your hand bridge from one side to the other. In other words on a TRE, place your hand on the knuckle and over the TRE. If the TRE is loose as the person rocks the wheel back and forth, you will feel the play. Repeat this for all of the steering joints. This works sometimes on ball joints, but not all the time. In that case you sometimes have to lift the vehicle by the axle and take some or all of the load off of the tire, which will allow the joint to move without restriction. Also look/feel the control arm bushings. It may be harder to see them or feel them move, but they are a common source of instability.

Steering stabilizers do not fix the root cause of DW, they only retune the rate of oscillation to a less common frequency so it doesn't ever get started. They do nothing to get rid of the base problem. There are a lot of voodoo fixes and ideas out there about THE ANSWER to DW's. Don't just throw parts at the problem.

A vehicle CAN be aligned with bad ball joints. It just won't hold an alignment since the knuckle can move around.

At least I was able to have it happen with my mechanic in the jeep. It will definitly receive a new steering stabilizer. He also mentioned that the track bar bolt hole looked oval shaped. I have put an impact gun on the bolt to tighten it to where it would not move and it still does it.

Back