• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper w/tire carieer?

I have one of it's brothers. From the looks, it's a close match. mine works great.

rear.jpg

Looks like a TJ/YJ bumper that someone stuck XJ mounting brackets on. Guess if you need something cheap and don't care what it looks like...

took a look at the website... front & rear bumpers look the same to me, just throw on different mounts... guess that saves time somehow... did you see the pictures of the rear bumper/carrier on his jeep, the black one? the tire hangs out away from the hatch... good design??? seems that would put some strange/bad pressure on the unibody... my 2 cents

It doesn't look up to any side-ways pulling (notice the use of vertical plate instead of tubing between the mounting plates and the bumper body)

The use of just 8 locations means your tire might be moving around on the highway, as the total vertical mounting on the body spans just 3 or 4 inches.

6 years experience of TIG welding doesn't show. TIG welding is supposed to be very clean looking. Despite the little I know about welding, I am cautious about those welds.

What about recovery points?

What I saw on his website were rear body mounts only, no frame tie-ins. That would make those D-rings for looks and rattles, not for pulling or being pulled unless you'd like to leave that bumper on the trail after a good yank.

Id be leary of an aftermarket bumper that has a tire carrier and recovery points and only ties into the stock bumper mount locations. Why? Because the Tomken bumper I have that used the stock mounts and a not so good tie-in to the frame rail started to rip the sheet metal around the stock holes. That's why I went back to a stock bumper until I design something that's got some more beef to it.

Guys, thanks a ton for all the good points/suggestions. This is exactly why I like posting something here first before I make a commitment to buy something, even with just the slightest doubt. My mind is made up to stay away from this deal. As the saying goes, "you get what you pay for"! Thanks again to all of you!!
:cheers:

Get a hold of Aj's Armor. He can fab up what you want...and is a nice guy.

Keep the money here at home.

He's here on the board.

bshaw said:
I really like his work, but is he still in production or shut down for the time being? I thought he wasn't making anything but rock rails for a long time. If he's back into bumpers again I'll have to get hold of him....

I THINK he's back. Last time I talked with him he was doing rails...hopefully he's back to doing everything.

DO more searching. There are several nice bumper/tire carriers out there. Look at Custom 4x4 Fab, DetoursUSA (what I have), and Rigidco. All 3 of these are really nice set-ups. There is also JCRoffroad.

Here are some pics from my front & rear install. The front is a Rigidco and the rear is DetoursUSA:

bumpers

Thanks,

Robert

rpraterxj said:
DO more searching. There are several nice bumper/tire carriers out there. Look at Custom 4x4 Fab, DetoursUSA (what I have), and Rigidco. All 3 of these are really nice set-ups. There is also JCRoffroad.

Here are some pics from my front & rear install. The front is a Rigidco and the rear is DetoursUSA:

bumpers

Thanks,

Robert
I have seriously been looking at bumpers for months now. All the big names (rigidco has really caught my eye), and I'm just trying to make up my mind on what I want, without going broke is all. Kind of hard to do though I guess. I'll make up mind sometime I hope, starting to driving myselft nuts lol. BTW, your bumpers look awesome! Thanks again for all the help guys!

buy a welder...

Back