• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-flo cat or straight pipe?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Found out last night that the cat on my '91 XJ w/ 206K is ready to give up the ghost. There is a small hole where the pipe meets the body on the front of the cat. I know it won't be long before the whole thing lets go.

Would running a straight pipe have any negative effects on the way the Jeep runs and drives? Or should I install a hi-flo cat to stay legal? My next emissions test isn't for almost 2 years, just had it done in May. Summit has a direct-fit Magnaflow for $71. Universal is like $53, but then I have to buy some extra part$ to make it work.

I'm not really looking for more power or performance, I just don't want the noise associated with exhaust leaks. So, what would you guys recommend?

Just replace with a standard cat. Modern catalytic converters have very lttle back pressure. You will gain nothing using a "hi-flo". Also, using a straight pipe your vihicle will not pass safety inspection.

Back