• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

torque converter bolts

Heepofajeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, long story, but I have lost all four of the bolts that connect my 1989 Cherokee AW4 Flexplate to the 4.0 engine. I was hoping someone could give me their size and thread pitch? It would sure save me a lot of time at the bolt store tomorrow!

Also, and this isn't as important, but I was wondering if anyone also knew the specifics about the bolts that connect the transmission to the engine? Thankyou so very much!!!

Dealership?

Torque converter bolts have a " E8.8 " head stamp (the head stamp is hard to make out, really tiny, OEM would be the best bet) M-10 threads, 15 MM head and 14 MM thread/grip length. (note "grip length" between the bottom of the head and the end of the bolt)
The two side bolts for the bell housing have a 7/16" diameter, are 2 15/16" grip length and are threaded for 1 3/4" of the grip length. SAE 5 hardness and 14 threads to the inch.
The two top bell housing bolts have 3/8" diameter, 1 3/4" long, threaded the entire grip length. Hardness unknown, they are star bolts, (guess SAE 8) with 16 threads to the inch.
The three bell housing dust cover bolts are M-7, hardness 9.8, 16 MM long grip length, threaded the entire grip length .

Last edited:
The Torque Converter bolts are M10x1.x, and have a special head style that would be called a "place bolt." The place bolt has a slight undercut into the underside of the head, which allows for more clamping force underneath (the head is also oversize in relation to the bolt.) This allows a smaller bolt to act like a much larger one. I don't have the thread pitch handy - have to find that notebook.

Place bolts are commonly used on flywheels and flexplates in automotive applications, and are also found holding ring gears in place. A place bolt is designed to handle very large shear forces on a constant basis.

I haven't found a good aftermarket source for torque converter bolts yet, but for flexplate bolts, it's not a bad idea to get ARP kit P/N200-2904 - it's listed for Pontiac, but it works for our 242's as well (I've got two of the kits in service now.) I haven't measured flywheel bolts yet, but P/N 200-2804 will probably work there - the thread is right, and the UHL sounds right. I'll have to verify it later.

Having said all that, I'd use OEMR if I can't find anything that I'm sure is better - these are some of those "critical" bolts that can cause huge problems if something goes awry...

5-90

Knew I had it somewhere! The torque converter bolts are M10x1.5m/m, and I seem to recall they're somewhere around 20mm long (not quite an inch.)

While I've got a set kicking around doing nothing, I haven't seen them in several months - so I can't provide pics at present. Still, I'm going to say stick with OEMR on this one - I checked ARP, and they don't have a place bolt in that size. I need to remeasure the clutch bolts one of these days, tho...

5-90

Guys, he didn't ask about torque converter bolts. He asked for the size of the bolts holding the flex plate to the crankshaft.

By the way, Heepofajeep, aren't there six of those rather than four?

Back